info customization and improvements

Bill Wohler wohler at sapwdf.UUCP
Thu Feb 7 05:38:01 AEST 1991

  is there *any* customization of info available?

  for example, i'd like to:

        o change the location of my personal info directory
        o fix the location of the navigation window.
        o fix the location of the search window.
        o have the compound search window come up the first time.

  is there an index of possible initial articles to display with the
  -s flag?  what does the -n flag do?

  is there anyone who reads this list that is an author of info and
  can implement suggestions and improvements?

  when the search window pops up, the cursor is warped but
  mostly *misses* the window.  since i have autoraise set, the search
  window is buried--very annoying.

  i was wondering about a keyboard interface (the x windows
  interface).  one has limited emacs commands in a reading window
  (C-v, M-v) but not all (M->).  in addition, the first menu after a
  query allows you to type the first letter of the choices
  "Navigation", "Using, Managing and Commands" and so on and then a
  carriage return will select your choice.  this doesn't exist,
  unfortunatly, within the navigation window itself.

  an excellent addition would be C-s (to search for a pattern within an
  article) because it takes a while to bring up the query window,
  select the compound query,  change the search to the current article
  and finally make the query.

  ciao.

                                                --bw
						wohler at sap-ag.de

ps.  smit "funny" anecdote #133355: sometimes i like aix's pepto-bismol
system administration.  sometimes i don't.  /dev/null disappeared
tonight of all things.  not knowing the major and minor numbers, i
looked for /dev/MAKEDEV, i looked through info and the man page for
/dev/null.  no information about *making* /dev/null could i find!

please don't tell me how to make /dev/null, but please tell me where
i could have RTFMed.