csh and ATK on RS6000s

Pat Wilson paw at eleazar.dartmouth.edu
Sat Feb 9 02:26:52 AEST 1991

We're continuing to have problems running ATK and csh on our 6000s.
Is anyone else?  We've found that the consoles lock after about 30
minutes of use - mainly typescripts, ez sessions, and FORTRAN compiles.
Even with Todd Inglett's typescript, we're not getting job control
in those windows.  The job control I can live without, but the lockups...

We also have a problem killing csh's.  It seems there's one "magic" shell
on each locked machine (perhaps the last functioning one?) - killing
_that_ one brings the dread flashing 888s.  I've installed the 3002
csh on one machine, and understand that the problem is still present.
These csh's are all running in ATK windows - is there a connection?

We're running 6000/320s with 16Meg RAM and 32Meg paging space.  Most
are at 3001, and the ATK is pl9.

Advice, sympathy, and/or lots of $$$ to buy more disk appreciated...

--
Pat Wilson
Systems Manager, Project NORTHSTAR
paw at northstar.dartmouth.edu