AIX v3.1: alloca and .<symbol>

Marc Pawliger marc at ibmpa.awdpa.ibm.com
Sat Feb 16 06:15:44 AEST 1991

In article <1441 at ucl-cs.uucp>, J.Crowcroft at cs.ucl.ac.uk (Jon Crowcroft) writes:

|> we're getting a number undefined symbols linking various programs
|>
|> e.g.
|> 1. .rusers (librpcsvc.a)
|> 2. .alloca  (libc.a)
|> 3. .flock (libbsd.a?)
|>
|> can someone please:
|> a) explain the . instead of _  prefix
|> b) explain the manual page for alloca reference to mystirous cc/xlc
|> option to get the alloca symbol recogized * linked properly?
|> c) the missing-ness of rusers

I don't know about '.' vs '_' or why rusers is undefined.

About alloca:  to use alloca, you should add '#pragma alloca' to the top of
any source file that uses alloca.

Flock should be in libc.a, at least it is according the the Info document on
the 'flock subroutine'.

+--Marc Pawliger----IBM Advanced Workstations Division----Palo Alto, CA---+
|   Internet: marc at ibminet.awdpa.ibm.com        VNET:    MARCP at AUSVM6  |
|    UUCP:     uunet!ibminet.awdpa.ibm.com!marc  Phone:   (415) 855-3493  |
+-----IBMinet:  marc at ibmpa.awdpa.ibm.com----------IBM T/L:  465-3493------+