uucp wierdness

Robin D. Wilson robin at batcomp.austin.ibm.com
Wed Feb 13 08:52:35 AEST 1991

In article <466 at hammer.UUCP> jockc at hammer.UUCP (PRIV Account) writes:
>I'm having a problem with uucp on the RS6000.  Uucico goes through
>the chat script fine, but after sending the password (the last thing
>in the script), it just sits there, as if it had another expect
>string.  The remote system starts up its uucico and I get what looks
>like should be a good login.  My local uucico just waits for awhile,
>and eventually times out with a LOGIN FAILED...

Is it possible that the remote system is asking you to change your password?

The best way to find out what is happening is to use "cu" to dial-up that
system, and tehn login using the same login as 'uucico' uses (like "nuucp"
if that is the uucp login account).  When you login to a valid uucico
program, you will get the message:

	Shere=<system_name>

(Where <system_name> is the output from the "uuname -l" command on the
remote system.)

If you get this far, then it should work unless you have a problem in the
"Permissions" file on one of the machines.

|The views expressed herein, are the sole responsibility of the typist at hand|
|UUCP:     robin%aixserv at uunet.uu.net                                         |
|USNail:   701 Canyon Bend Dr.                                                |
|          Pflugerville, TX  78660                                            |
|          Home: (512)251-6889      Work: (512)823-3015                       |