"emacs" terminfo--shell-mode in emacs

Marc Pawliger marc at ibmpa.awdpa.ibm.com
Tue Feb 5 04:51:19 AEST 1991

In article <793 at anaxagoras.ils.nwu.edu>, edelson at ils.nwu.edu (Daniel Choy Edelson) writes:
|> I can't get shell-mode to work in emacs (18.56) on my rs6000 apparently
|>  because there is no terminfo entry for "emacs".  I looked around
|> on some other machines and can find neither an "emacs" terminfo nor
|> termcap entry.
|>
|> Has anyone out there solved this problem yet?  If so, can you
|> enlighten me?
|>
|> Thanks.

I am running 18.57 (came out a few days after 18.56) and the shell mode works
right out of the box on my version 3.1.0003 system.

You are correct that there is no terminfo nor termcap entry for "emacs" but
that should not matter.  What specific problems are you having?  I know that
terminal-emulator mode does not work for reasons I have yet to discover, but
I assume you do mean the more vanilla shell-mode.

AIX TIP:

You can find out the version number of your system by running the command
'lslpp -h bos.obj'.  lslpp lists the Licensed Program Products on your system.
-h means include the history and bos.obj is the Base Operating System objects.
Anyway, the last line of the output should be something like:

ACTIVE COMMIT MM/DD/YY 03.01.XXXX.YYYY userid

The MM/DD/YY is the date the BOS update was applied and XXXX is the update
level of the AIX 3.1 product.

+--Marc Pawliger----IBM Advanced Workstations Division----Palo Alto, CA---+
|   Internet: marc at ibminet.awdpa.ibm.com        VNET:    MARCP at AUSVM6  |
|    UUCP:     uunet!ibminet.awdpa.ibm.com!marc  Phone:   (415) 855-3493  |
+-----IBMinet:  marc at ibmpa.awdpa.ibm.com----------IBM T/L:  465-3493------+

As always, these are my opinions, not IBM's etc etc etc