"emacs" terminfo--shell-mode in emacs

John F Haugh II jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
Wed Feb 6 00:57:51 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb5.071911.3676 at ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz> gmoff at ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz (Moffat) writes:
>Presumably this means 03.01.0001.0003 is what's colloquially known as 3001?

Sort of.  The third set of numbers "0001" is what tells you it is "x001",
the "3xxx" tells you it is a cumulative update.  "2xxx" is relative to the
preceeding "2xxx - 1" level.

>We believe we need 3003 to run our 730 successfully, would this show as
>03.01.0003.yyyy?  What is the yyyy part?

The number of iterations of the build process required to produce the
given update.  It has little use outside of IBM and serves primarily to
differentiate one level of code from the next during the development
process.  Some people would argue that it serves primarily to confuse
customers ...
Ma Bell: (512) 832-8832                           Domain: jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
"I've never written a device driver, but I have written a device driver manual"
                -- Robert Hartman, IDE Corp.