AIX 1.2 is dead (was X server for PS/2 XGA under AIX 1.2)

Mark Kosten - Computer Centre, La Trobe Uni. CCMK at lure.latrobe.edu.au
Thu Feb 28 01:51:02 AEST 1991

In article <714 at lhdsy1.chevron.com>, meo at lhdsy1.chevron.com (Mike E. Osborne) writes:
> Anyone seen support for X11R3 or X11R4 for the new XGA adapters
> under AIX PS/2 1.2?  I could use an old 8514/A but the specs on
> XGA make this seem unnecessary.  My IBM rep was pretty sure it would
> be supported someday.

I have heard from my spies in IBM (comments invited to confirm or deny):

1. PS/2 AIX is dead (no more new versions, except for bug fixes).

2. AIX has not been certified for the PS/2 90 and 95.

3. AIX will never be certified to work on the model 90 and 95.

4. Not said to me, but a conclusion of (3) is no support for XGA.

5. The only way to run Unix on the model 90 and 95 and have IBM's
   blessing is to run SCO's Open Desktop, with which IBM have a licensing
   agreement.

6. Future Unix versions for IBM PS/2s may be SCO's ODT or something similar
   from a joint development between IBM and SCO.

Mark Kosten (who denies having written the above)