AIX 1.2 is dead (was X server for PS/2 XGA under AIX 1.2)

Stephen Linam sdl at adagio.austin.ibm.com
Thu Feb 28 03:29:42 AEST 1991

I'm making this posting for an IBM marketing person, Brennan Carley,
who doesn't have access to post it himself:

>From: CCMK at lure.latrobe.edu.au (Mark Kosten - Computer Centre, La Trobe Uni.)
>Subject: AIX 1.2 is dead (was X server for PS/2 XGA under AIX 1.2)
>
>In article <714 at lhdsy1.chevron.com>, meo at lhdsy1.chevron.com (Mike E.
Osborne) writes
>> Anyone seen support for X11R3 or X11R4 for the new XGA adapters
>> under AIX PS/2 1.2?  I could use an old 8514/A but the specs on
>> XGA make this seem unnecessary.  My IBM rep was pretty sure it would
>> be supported someday.
>
>I have heard from my spies in IBM (comments invited to confirm or deny):
>
>1. PS/2 AIX is dead (no more new versions, except for bug fixes).

This is absolutely untrue.  IBM just announced and has begun to ship a
new release of AIX PS/2.  IBM remains committed to AIX on the PS/2.
IBM's president (Jack Kuehler) has publically stated that a future
version of AIX PS/2 would be OSF/1 based.

>2. AIX has not been certified for the PS/2 90 and 95.

Also nonsense.  AIX PS/2 1.2.1 is fully supported on the models 90 and
95.

>3. AIX will never be certified to work on the model 90 and 95.

See above.

>4. Not said to me, but a conclusion of (3) is no support for XGA.

AIX PS/2 1.2.1 supports XGA in VGA compatibility mode today.

>5. The only way to run Unix on the model 90 and 95 and have IBM's
>   blessing is to run SCO's Open Desktop, with which IBM have a licensing
>   agreement.

Also false.

>6. Future Unix versions for IBM PS/2s may be SCO's ODT or something similar
>   from a joint development between IBM and SCO.

Also false.  Future versions will be OSF based, in line with IBM's
strategic direction for AIX.

Attached is the announcement for the current release of AIX PS/2:

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

NUMBER     291-039
DATE       910205
TITLE      AIX PS/2 OPERATING SYSTEM VERSIONS 1.2.1 AND RELATED AIX PS/2
VERSION
           1.1.1 AND 1.2.1 LICENSED PROGRAMS
ABSTRACT          The AIX (R) PS/2 (R) Operating System and Operating System
           Extensions are now available on Internal Tape Backup Unit (ITBU)
           mini-cartridge for customers who wish to install from tape media.
                  AIX PS/2 Operating System Version 1.2.1 and related licensed
           programs provide support for the GEARBOX (R) Model 800 Industrial
           Computer and additional Personal System/2 (R) models.  Multibyte
           character and the Extended C Language compiler conforming to ANSI
           X3J11/90-013 are now offered to address requirements for National
           Language implementations.
                  The programs announced today replace Versions 1.1 and 1.2 of
           the AIX PS/2 Operating System and related AIX PS/2 programs.
           Upgrades from AIX PS/2 Operating System Version 1.1 and Operating
           System Extensions Version 1.1 are offered to encourage migration.
                                                                       Program
           Description                                                 Number
           AIX PS/2 Operating System
             Version 1.2.1                                             5713-AEQ
           AIX PS/2 Operating System Extensions
             Version 1.2.1                                             5713-AFH
           AIX PS/2 Application Development
             Toolkit Version 1.2.1                                     5713-AEP
           AIX PS/2 DOS Merge Version 1.2.1                            5713-AEY
           AIX PS/2 INmail (1)/INed (2)/INnet (1)/
             INftp Version 1.2.1                                       5713-AET
           AIX PS/2 Network File System
             Version 1.2.1                                             5713-AFG
           AIX PS/2 Text Formatting System
             Version 1.2.1                                             5713-AFD
           AIX PS/2 Transparent Computing
             Facility Version 1.2.1                                    5713-AFK
           AIX PS/2 Transmission Control Protocol/
             Internet Protocol Version 1.2.1                           5713-AEW
           AIX PS/2 X.25 Version 1.2.1                                 5601-202
           AIX PS/2 X-Windows Version 1.2.1                            5713-AEX
           AIXwindows Environment for PS/2
             Version 1.2.1                                             5601-439
           AIX PS/2 C Language Version 1.1.1                           5713-AFC
           AIX PS/2 Extended C Language
             Version 1.2.1                                             5621-143
                                                                       Program
           Description                                                 Number
           AIX PS/2 Usability Services
             Version 1.1.1                                             5713-AFE
           AIX PS/2 VS FORTRAN Version 1.1.1                           5713-AFA
           AIX PS/2 VS Pascal Version 1.1.1                            5713-AEZ
           AIX PS/2 Workstation Host Interface
             Program Version 1.1.1                                     5713-AER
                  Planned Availability Date:  February 22, 1991.
            (R) Registered trademark of International Business Machines
              Corporation.
            (1) Trademark of INTERACTIVE Systems Corporation.
            (2) Registered trademark of INTERACTIVE Systems Corporation.
PRODNO       5713-AEP  5713-AEX  5713-AFG
             5713-AFA  5713-AEY  5713-AFH
             5713-AEQ  5713-AEZ  5713-AFK
             5713-AER  5713-AFC  5601-202
             5713-AET  5713-AFD  5601-439
             5713-AEW  5713-AFE  5621-143
OVERVIEW   HIGHLIGHTS
           o   Support for additional hardware
           o   Support for multiple byte characters and ANSI C applications
           o   DOS Merge support for (Lotus (3)/Intel (4)/Microsoft (5) 4.0)
               (LIM 4.0) specifications
           o   Installation from PS/2 Internal Tape Backup Unit
           o   Availability of an X.25 API
           o   Availability of an API for the Realtime Interface Co-Processor
           o   Improved file system requiring less fixed disk space
            (3) Trademark of Lotus Corporation.
            (4) Trademark of Intel Corporation.
            (5) Registered trademark of Microsoft Corporation.
           DESCRIPTION
           GROWTH ENABLEMENT
           Growth enablement is enhanced through additional system and
periphery
           support.  AIX PS/2 Version 1.2.1 announces support for the following
           additional devices:
           o   Systems:
               -   IBM PS/2 Model 65 SX (8565-321, 8565-061, 8565-121)
               -   IBM GEARBOX Model 800 Industrial Computer (7568-150)
               -   IBM PS/2 Model 90 XP 486 (8590-0J5, 8590-0J9, 8590-0KD)
               -   IBM PS/2 Model 95 XP 486 (8595-0J9, 8595-0JD, 8595-0KD)
               -   IBM PS/2 Model P75 486 (8573-161, 8573-401)
               -   IBM PS/2 Model 80 (8580-081, 8580-161, 8580-A16)
           o   Co-Processor:  IBM PS/2 Wizard Adapter (#3462, 64F7351)
           o   Keyboard:  Icelandic
           o   Storage Devices:
               -   IBM 4869 External Diskette Drive
               -   IBM PS/2 Tape Backup Unit (#5279, 30F5279)
               -   IBM PS/2 CD-ROM Drive (#1113, 6451113)
               -   3510 IBM PS/2 External CD-ROM Drive
               -   3511 IBM PS/2 External Storage Enclosure for SCSI Devices
               -   IBM PS/2 400MB SCSI Fixed Disk Drive (#1081, 6451081)
               -   IBM PS/2 80MB SCSI Fixed Disk Drive (#1045, 6451045)
               -   IBM PS/2 160MB SCSI Fixed Disk Drive (#1046, 6451046)
           o   Communication Adapter:  IBM PS/2 Adapter/A for Ethernet Networks
               (#1091, 6451091)
               NOTE: Support will be provided no later than August 1991.
           o   Displays/Adapters:
               -   IBM PS/2 Image Adapter/A 1MB (#0072, 44F9914)
               -   IBM PS/2 Image Adapter/A 3MB (#0073, 44F9919)
               -   IBM PS/2 Image Adapter/A 3MB-6091 (#0074, 44F9921)
               -   IBM 7544 Industrial Graphics Display
               -   IBM 7554 Industrial Graphics Display
               -   8515 PS/2 Color Display (1024 X 768 color 14-inch)
           o   Printers/Plotters
               -   IBM Personal Page Printer II Model 031
               -   IBM 4224 Wire Matrix Printer (Models 301, 302, 3C2 and 3E3)
               -   IBM 4234 Dot Band Printer Model 013
               -   5204 Quickwriter (R) Printer
               -   IBM 4019 LaserPrinter
               -   IBM 4019 LaserPrinter E
               -   IBM 3816 Page Printer Model 01D
               -   IBM 3812 Pageprinter Model 2
               -   4072 ExecJet (TM) Printer
               -   6185 Color Plotter.
            (R) Registered trademark of International Business Machines
              Corporation.
            (TM) Trademark of International Business Machines Corporation.
           BUSINESS SOLUTIONS
           The capability to implement National Languages in the AIX PS/2
           environment required the need for additional character support.
           Multibyte character support to addresses this requirement.  AIX PS/2
           Extended C Language Version 1.2.1 complies with ANSI X3J11/90-013.
                  The DOS Merge program now supports the LIM 4.0 specification
           providing expanded memory support (EMS memory) to DOS applications.
                  AIX PS/2 X.25 Version 1.2.1 now provides the following:
           o   Support for logon from terminals attached to a packet
               assembler/disassembler (PAD) supporting CCITT (6) X.29
               recommendations
                (6) International Telegraph and Telephone Consultative
                  Committee.
           o   Support for TCP/IP over X.25, when AIX PS/2 TCP/IP is installed
           o   Concurrent operation of up to four X.25 links (one IBM X.25
               Interface Co-Processors/2 per link)
           o   Autodial and autoreceive facilities supported
           o   X.25 applications for message and file transfer capability
           o   Link control and line monitoring programs
           o   An incoming call router
           o   An application programming interface (API) to enable
customers to
               develop native X.25 applications.
                  AIX PS/2 Operating System Version 1.2.1 now provides an
           interface for applications that interface to tasks that execute on
           the IBM Realtime Interface Co-Processor Multiport/2.  Although AIX
           PS/2 Operating System Version 1.2.1 does not provide any tools or
           services for the development of programs, a facility is provided for
           downloading programs developed on other systems for this adapter.
           SYSTEMS MANAGEMENT
           Systems management capabilities are enhanced through the
availability
           of the AIX PS/2 Operating System Version 1.2.1 and Operating System
           Extensions Version 1.2.1 on Internal Tape Backup Unit
mini-cartridge.
           Additionally, maintenance releases for several licensed programs are
           included in this announcement.
           NATIONAL LANGUAGE SUPPORT
           National Language Support is provided for 8-bit ASCII.  National
           language character set support is also provided for IBM console
           displays, selected World Trade ASCII terminals, and IBM
printers with
           National Language capability.
CUSTINFO   PUBLICATIONS
                  Publications ordering information for the following
previously
           announced programs remains unchanged and can be found in the
original
           announcements:
           o   5713-AEP AIX PS/2 Application Development Toolkit Version 1.2
           o   5713-AEY AIX PS/2 DOS Merge Version 1.2
           o   5713-AET AIX PS/2 INmail/INed/INnet/INftp Version 1.2
           o   5713-AFD AIX PS/2 Text Formatting System Version 1.2
           o   5713-AEW AIX PS/2 TCP/IP Version 1.2
           o   5713-AEX AIX PS/2 X-Windows Version 1.2
           o   5713-AFE AIX PS/2 Usability Services Version 1.1
           o   5713-AER AIX PS/2 Workstation Host Interface Program Version 1.1
           o   5713-AFC AIX PS/2 C Language Version 1.1
           o   5713-AFA AIX PS/2 FORTRAN Version 1.1
           o   5713-AEZ AIX PS/2 VS Pascal Version 1.1.
           o   5601-439 AIXwindows Environment for PS/2 Version 1.2
                  Separate publications are not provided for the AIX PS/2 NFS
           Version 1.2.1 or AIX TCF Version 1.2.1 programs.  Information
           regarding the installation and use of these programs is included in
           AIX PS/2 Operating System software publications.
                  Customers who desire to order additional copies of all the
           publications shipped with AIXwindows (TM) Environment for PS/2
           Version 1.2.1 may now order them by placing an order for the
           SBOF-1534.  For information regarding publications shipped with
           AIXwindows Environment for PS/2, refer to Programming
           Announcement 290-170, dated March 27, 1990.
                  The AIX PS/2 General Information Manual (GC23-2055)

                  The following publications are shipped as documentation with
           AIX PS/2 Operating System Version 1.2.1.
                                                             ORDER
           TITLE                                             NUMBER
           Installing and Customizing the AIX PS/2
             Operating System                                SC23-2290
           Using the AIX PS/2 Operating System               SC23-2291
           AIX PS/2 Operating System Command
             Reference, Volume 1                             SC23-2292
           AIX PS/2 Operating System Command
             Reference, Volume 2                             SC23-2184
           Managing the AIX PS/2
             Operating System                                SC23-2293
           AIX Messages Reference                            SC23-2294
           Guide to Multibyte Character
             Set Support                                     GC23-2333
           AIX PS/2 Keyboard Character
             Description                                     SC23-2037
                  The following publications are shipped as documentation with
           AIX PS/2 Operating System Extensions Version 1.2.1:
                                                             ORDER
           TITLE                                             NUMBER
           AIX PS/2 Operating System
             Technical Reference Volume 1                    SC23-2300
           AIX PS/2 Operating System
             Technical Reference Volume 2                    SC23-2301
                  The following publications are shipped as documentation with
           AIX PS/2 Extended C Language Version 1.2.1:
                                                             ORDER
           TITLE                                             NUMBER
           AIX C Language Reference                          SC23-2058
           AIX C Language User's Guide                       SC23-2057
                  The following publication is shipped as documentation
with AIX
           PS/2 X.25 Version 1.2.1:
                                                             ORDER
           TITLE                                             NUMBER
           AIX PS/2 X.25 Users Guide and
              Programming Reference                          SC23-2350
                  Additional copies of these publications are available.  To
           order, call 1-800-327-5711.
           EDUCATION SUPPORT
                  A description of these self-study and classroom courses is
           contained in the CATALOG OF IBM EDUCATION (G320-1244).  Call IBM --
           Direct Education at 1-800-IBM-8322, for schedules,
enrollments and to
           place orders for self-study courses.
           SCHEDULE
                  The planned availability date is February 22, 1991.
TECHINFO   TECHNICAL INFORMATION
           SPECIFIED OPERATING ENVIRONMENT
           MACHINE REQUIREMENTS:  These AIX PS/2 programs require the following
           minimum configuration with any of the supported displays:
           o   IBM PS/2 Model 55 SX
             8555-061
           o   IBM PS/2 Model 65 SX
             8565-321, 8565-061, 8565-121
           o   IBM PS/2 Model 70
             8570-E61, 8570-061, 8570-A61, 8570-121, 8570-A21,
             8570-B61, 8570-B21
             PS/2 486/25 Power Platform
           o   IBM PS/2 Model P70 386
             8573-061, 8573-121
           o   IBM PS/2 Model P75 486
             8573-161, 8573-401
           o   IBM PS/2 Model 80
             8580-041, 8580-071, 8580-111, 8580-311,
             8580-121, 8580-321, 8580-A21, 8580-A31
             8580-081, 8580-161, 8580-A16
           o   IBM PS/2 Model 90 XP 486
             8590-0J5, 8590-0J9, 8590-0KD
           o   IBM PS/2 Model 95 XP 486
             8595-0J9, 8595-0JD, 8595-0KD
           o   IBM GEARBOX Model 800 Industrial Computer
             7568-150
           o   IBM 7561 Industrial Computer Model 111*
           o   IBM 7562 Industrial Computer Model 111*
           *  These models have a maximum of 60MB fixed disk storage.  To
              increase the fixed disk storage on these models, use the
following
              RPQ numbers.  The IBM 7561 Industrial Computer Model 111 requires
              RPQ PF-1175 to increase the fixed disk storage from 60MB
to 120MB.
              The IBM 7562 Industrial Computer Model 111 requires RPQ
PF-1178 to
              increase the fixed disk storage from 60MB to 120MB.
                  AIX PS/2 Operating System Version 1.2.1 provides support for
           the following terminals:
           o   IBM 3151 ASCII Display Station
           o   IBM 3161 ASCII Display Station
           o   IBM 3162 ASCII Display Station
           o   IBM 3163 ASCII Display Station
           o   IBM 3164 ASCII Display Station
           o   IBM Personal Computers using 3101 emulation:
               -   IBM Personal Computer
               -   Personal Computer XT (TM)
               -   Personal Computer AT (R)
               -   IBM Portable Personal Computer
               -   IBM Convertible Personal Computer
               -   IBM Personal System/2 Models 50 and 60.
           o   WYSE (7) 60
            (TM) Trademark of International Business Machines Corporation.
            (R) Registered trademark of International Business Machines
              Corporation.
            (7) Trademark of WYSE Tech, Inc.
           NOTE: National Language models of IBM 3151, IBM 3161, IBM 3162, IBM
           3163, and IBM 3164 ASCII terminals with International Standard
           Organization (ISO) code page 8859/1.2 are supported in the
3161 mode.
           National Language models of ASCII terminals that adhere to the ANSI
           3.64 protocol as implemented by the DEC VT220 (8) Terminals are
           supported.
            (8) Trademark of Digital Equipment Corporation.
                  The minimum random access memory (RAM) and fixed disk storage
           requirements needed to run AIX PS/2 Operating System Version 1.2.1
           are:
           o   3MB memory and 44MB disk storage with SCSI support
           o   2MB memory and 44MB disk storage without SCSI support.
                  The minimum additional random access memory (RAM) and fixed
           disk storage requirements needed to run AIX PS/2 Extended C Language
           Version 1.2.1 are 1MB memory and 0.9MB disk storage.
                  Information on RAM and fixed disk storage requirements
for AIX
           PS/2 Operating System Version 1.2.1 and related licensed programs is
           available on IBMLink (or, contact your IBM marketing representative
           if you do not have access to IBMLink).  To retrieve this
information,
           use the item "9VLBN" or the search words "AIXPS2 RAMDASD."
                  Refer to this information to determine machine memory and
           fixed disk storage requirements for the AIX PS/2 Operating System
           Version 1.2.1, optionally installable AIX extensions, any
           prerequisite or corequisites, and all other licensed programs
ordered
           for a PS/2.  Total RAM and fixed disk storage requirements are based
           on all licensed programs and user applications to be installed.
           PROGRAMMING REQUIREMENTS:  AIX PS/2 licensed programs require the
           installation of AIX PS/2 Operating System Version 1.2.1
                  The Network File System Version 1.2.1 program also requires
           TCP/IP Version 1.2.1.
                  The DOS Merge Version 1.2.1 program also requires IBM DOS
           Version 3.3.0.
                  To accomplish file transfer between an IBM System/370
host and
           an IBM PS/2 workstation utilizing AIX PS/2 Workstation Host
Interface
           Program Version 1.1.1, the IBM System/370 IND$FILE program must be
           installed on the System/370 host.
           COMPATIBILITY:  The 4.3 BSD enhancements and the changes to
implement
           POSIX IEEE 1003.1-1988 conformance may affect binary
compatibility of
           AIX PS/2 Version 1.1 applications.  Recompilation of applications,
           and possibly source code modifications, may be required for running
           on AIX PS/2 Operating System Version 1.2.1.  Applications supported
           by AIX PS/2 Operating System Version 1.2 are binary compatible with
           AIX PS/2 Operating System Version 1.2.1.
                  Information (for example, commands affected) is available on
           IBMLink.  To retrieve this information, use the item "9VLBN" or the
           search words "AIXPS2 COMPATIBILITY."
                  The following AIX PS/2 Version 1.1.1 programs will execute on
           AIX PS/2 Operating System Versions 1.1 and Version 1.2.1:
           o   AIX PS/2 C Language Version 1.1.1
           o   AIX PS/2 Usability Services Version 1.1.1
           o   AIX PS/2 VS FORTRAN Version 1.1.1
           o   AIX PS/2 VS Pascal Version 1.1.1
           o   AIX PS/2 Workstation Host Interface Program Version 1.1.1.
                  All AIX systems operating within a Transparent Computing
           Facility (TCF) cluster must be at the same program level.
Therefore,
           all TCF sites must migrate to the highest program level.
           LIMITATIONS:  The AIX PS/2 Operating System Version 1.2.1 does not
           currently support the direct memory access (DMA) parallel printer
           port on the PS/2 Model 80 (8580-A21 and 8580-A31).  (Refer to
Product
           Announcement 190-055, dated March 20, 1990.)
                  The AIX PS/2 Operating System Version 1.2.1 supports the XGA
           adapter in VGA mode.
                  The AIX PS/2 Operating System Version 1.2.1 supports PS/2
           Models 90 XP 486 and 95 XP 486 in compatibility mode.
Support for up
           to 16MB of random access memory is provided.  Up to two 3.5-inch
           internal diskette drives are supported.  External SCSI tape drives
           are not supported.  The serial port is supported at 19.2Kbps
or less.
                  The IBM Realtime Interface Co-Processor (RTIC) Multiport/2 is
           limited to a maximum of three adapters per system unit.  A single
           port can support a line speed of 19.2Kbps and the remaining
ports can
           support line speeds of up to 9600bps or less.
                  AIX PS/2 Operating System Version 1.2.1 does not provide a
           development environment for tasks that execute on the Realtime
           Interface Co-Processor Multiport/2 hardware.
                  AIX PS/2 X.25 Version 1.2.1 does not support TCP/IP broadcast
           and does not support use of the ARP command.
           PLANNING INFORMATION
           CUSTOMER RESPONSIBILITIES:  For each application running under the
           AIX PS/2 Transparent Computing Facility Version 1.2.1, a separate
           license is required for each PS/2 that requires concurrent access to
           that application.  User management is responsible for
determining the
           maximum number of concurrent users and for obtaining sufficient
           licenses.
           PACKAGING:  AIX PS/2 Operating System Version 1.2.1 is shipped with
           the following:
           o   IBM Program License Agreement
           o   License information (1-2 or 1-16 users)
           o   Keycap
           o   Diskette holders
           o   Diskette binders
           o   Box
           o   Bar code label
           o   3.5-inch diskettes or mini-cartridge
           o   Manuals
               -   Installing/Customizing the AIX PS/2 Operating System
               -   Using the AIX PS/2 Operating System
               -   AIX PS/2 Operating System Command Reference Volume 1
               -   AIX PS/2 Operating System Command Reference Volume 2
               -   Managing the AIX PS/2 Operating System
               -   Guide to Multibyte Character Set Support
               -   AIX PS/2 Keyboard Character Description
               -   AIX PS/2 Messages Reference
               -   AIX PS/2 Operating System Memo to Users.
                  AIX PS/2 Network File System Version 1.2.1 and AIX PS/2
           Transparent Computing Facility Version 1.2.1 are shipped with the
           following items:
           o   IBM Program License Agreement
           o   License information
           o   Diskette holder
           o   Diskette jacket
           o   3.5-inch diskettes
           o   Bar code label.
                  The following program packages and maintenance releases are
           shipped with:
           o   IBM Program License Agreement
           o   License information
           o   Diskette holder
           o   Diskette jacket
           o   3.5-inch diskettes
           o   Bar code label.
                  In addition, the following items are included with respective
           licensed programs:
           AIX PS/2 OPERATING SYSTEM EXTENSIONS VERSION 1.2.1
           o   Manuals
               -   AIX PS/2 Operating System Technical Reference Volume 1
               -   AIX PS/2 Operating System Technical Reference Volume 2
           AIX PS/2 APPLICATION DEVELOPMENT TOOLKIT VERSION 1.2.1
           o   Manual
               -   AIX PS/2 Programming Tools and Interfaces
           AIX PS/2 DOS MERGE VERSION 1.2.1
           o   Manual
               -   AIX PS/2 DOS Merge User's and Administrator's Guide
           AIX PS/2 INMAIL/INED/INNET/INFTP VERSION 1.2.1
           o   AIX PS/2 INmail Kit
           o   Manuals
               -   AIX PS/2 INmail/INnet/INftp User's Guide
               -   AIX PS/2 INed
           AIX PS/2 TEXT FORMATTING SYSTEM VERSION 1.2.1
           o   Manual
               -   AIX PS/2 Text Formatting Guide
           AIX PS/2 TCP/IP VERSION 1.2.1
           o   Manual
               -   AIX PS/2 TCP/IP User's Guide
           AIX PS/2 X-WINDOWS VERSION 1.2.1
           o   Manuals
               -   AIX PS/2 X-Windows User's Guide
               -   AIX PS/2 X-Windows Programmer's Reference
           AIXwindows Environment for PS/2 Version 1.2.1
           and AIXwindows Environment for PS/2 Version 1.2.1
           Upgrade from X-Windows Version 1.1:
           o   Manuals
               -   AIXwindows Environment for PS/2 Programmer's Guide
               -   AIXwindows Environment for PS/2 Programming Reference
               -   AIXwindows Environment for PS/2 Style Guide
               -   AIXwindows Environment for PS/2 User's Guide
               -   AIXwindows Environment for PS/2 Configuration Guide
               -   AIX PS/2 X-Windows User's Guide
               -   AIX PS/2 X-Windows Programmer's Reference.
                  The program package maintenance release for AIXwindows
           Environment for PS/2 Version 1.2 to Version 1.2.1 is shipped
with the
           following:
           o   AIX PS/2 X-Windows User's Guide
           o   AIX PS/2 X-Windows Programmer's Reference
           AIX PS/2 EXTENDED C LANGUAGE VERSION 1.2.1
           o   Manuals
               -   AIX C Language User's Guide
               -   AIX C Language Reference
           AIX PS/2 C LANGUAGE VERSION 1.1.1
           o   Manuals
               -   AIX C Language User's Guide
               -   AIX C Language Reference
           AIX PS/2 USABILITY SERVICES VERSION 1.1.1
           o   Template kit
           o   Manuals
               -   AIX PS/2 Usability Services User's Guide
               -   AIX PS/2 Usability Services Reference
           AIX PS/2 VS FORTRAN VERSION 1.1.1
           o   Manuals
               -   AIX PS/2 VS FORTRAN User's Guide
               -   AIX PS/2 VS FORTRAN Reference
               -   AIX PS/2 Interface Library Reference
           AIX PS/2 VS PASCAL VERSION 1.1.1
           o   Manuals
               -   AIX PS/2 VS Pascal User's Guide
               -   AIX PS/2 VS Pascal Reference
               -   AIX PS/2 Interface Library Reference
           AIX PS/2 WORKSTATION HOST INTERFACE PROGRAM VERSION 1.1.1
           o   Manuals
               -   AIX PS/2 Workstation Host Interface Program User's Guide and
                   Reference
           AIX PS/2 X.25 Version 1.2.1 is shipped with the following:
           o   Diskette binders
           o   Box
           o   Manuals
               -   AIX PS/2 X.25 Users Guide and Programming Reference.
                  These programs use the security and auditability features of
           the IBM AIX PS/2 Operating System.
           SECURITY, AUDITABILITY AND CONTROL
                  User management is responsible for evaluation, selection and
           implementation of security features, administrative procedures and
           appropriate controls in application systems and communication
           facilities.
ORDERING   ORDERING INFORMATION
           NEW LICENSES:  Orders for new licenses will be accepted now.  Unless
           a later date is specified, orders entered prior to February
22, 1991,
           will be assigned a schedule date of March 1, 1991.  Shipment of
           orders will commence on February 22, 1991.  Orders entered after
           February 22, 1991, will be scheduled for shipment on the Friday
           following the week of order entry, or as soon thereafter as supply
           permits.
                  To order AIX PS/2 Operating System Version 1.2.1 and related
           AIX PS/2 Version 1.1.1 and 1.2.1 licensed programs, for type model,
           specify the type/model program number, order type description, asset
           feature number, media feature number, one-time charge feature
number,
           media and quantity.
           AIX PS/2 EXTENDED C LANGUAGE VERSION 1.2.1 (5621-143)
           Part       Order Type            Feature Numbers
           Number     Description      Asset     Media     OTC       Media
           71F0590    Program
                        Package        9001      5004      4043      3.5-inch
           71F0591    Additional
                        Licenses                           4044
           AIX PS/2 OPERATING SYSTEM VERSION 1.2.1 (TAPE) (5713-AEQ)
           Part       Order Type            Feature Numbers
           Number     Description      Asset     Media     OTC       Media
           71F0572    Program
                        Package
                        (1-16 Users)   9001      5525      0313      Mini-

Cartridge
           71F0458    Additional
                        Licenses
                        (1-16 Users)                       9647
           81F9217    1-16 User
                        Upgrade
                        from
                        Version 1.1    9001      5531      4493      Mini-

Cartridge
           Part       Order Type            Feature Numbers
           Number     Description      Asset     Media     OTC       Media
           31F3920    Additional
                        Licenses
                        (1-16 Users)
                        Upgrade
                        from
                        Version 1.1                        4675
           71F0570    Program
                        Package
                        (1-12 Users)   9001      5526      0314      Mini-

Cartridge
           71F0467    Additional
                        Licenses
                        (1-12 Users)                       9667
           81F9215    1-2 User
                        Upgrade
                        from
                        Version 1.1    9001      5530      4494      Mini-

Cartridge
           81F9212    Additional
                        Licenses
                        (1-2 Users)
                        Upgrade
                        from
                        Version 1.1                        4676
           AIX PS/2 OPERATING SYSTEM EXTENSIONS VERSION 1.2.1 (TAPE) (5713-AFH)
           Part       Order Type            Feature Numbers
           Number     Description      Asset     Media     OTC       Media
           81F9241    Program
                        Package        9001      5527      0311      Mini-

Cartridge
           71F0472    Additional
                        Licenses                           9639
           81F9242    Program
                        Package
                        Upgrade
                        from
                        Version 1.1    9001      5529      4576      Mini-

Cartridge
           81F9228    Additional
                        Licenses
                        Upgrade
                        from
                        Version 1.1                        2220
           NOTE: Use of the Backup Tape Unit DC2120 mini-cartridge requires the
           installation of an IBM PS/2 Tape Backup Unit (#5279, 30F5279) on an
           IBM PS/2 with a minimum of 3MB memory.
           To suppress initial shipment of machine-readable materials and
           publications, use Initial Order Suppress feature number 3444.
                  The available order types are as follows:
           o   Program Package -- program diskette with documentation.
           o   Additional Licenses -- can be ordered under the ICA or
through an
               authorized remarketer.
           o   Program Package Upgrade -- program diskette with documentation.
           o   Additional Licenses Upgrade -- can be ordered under the ICA or
               through an authorized remarketer.
                  For customers who order additional licenses and want extra
           copies of the documentation in the program package, separate copies
           may be ordered by contacting the IBM representative.  Refer to the
           PUBLICATIONS section of this announcement for information.
                  Ordering information for previously announced programs
remains
           unchanged and can be found in the following announcements:
                  Programming Announcement 290-186, dated March 27, 1990:
           o   5713-AEQ  AIX PS/2 Operating System Version 1.2
           o   5713-AFH  AIX PS/2 Operating System Extensions Version 1.2
           o   5713-AEP  AIX PS/2 Application Development Toolkit Version 1.2
           o   5713-AEY  AIX PS/2 DOS Merge Version 1.2
           o   5713-AET  AIX PS/2 INmail/INed/INnet/INftp Version 1.2
           o   5713-AFG  AIX PS/2 Network File System Version 1.2
           o   5713-AFD  AIX PS/2 Text Formatting System Version 1.2
           o   5713-AFK  AIX PS/2 Transparent Computing Facility Version 1.2
           o   5713-AEW  AIX PS/2 Transmission Control Protocol/Internet
               Protocol Version 1.2
           o   5713-AEX  AIX PS/2 X-Windows Version 1.2
                  Programming Announcement 290-170, dated March 27, 1990:
           o   5601-439  AIXwindows Environment for PS/2 Version 1.2
                  The programs listed above are also available on System/370
           (TM) tape media.  Refer to Programming Announcement 290-172, dated
           March 27, 1990, for the ordering information.  Customers who already
           have these programs on System/370 tape media will automatically
           receive tapes with the maintenance releases.
                  Programming Announcement 287-505, dated November 3, 1987:
           o   5713-AFE AIX PS/2 Usability Services Version 1.1
                  Programming Announcement 287-506, dated November 3, 1987:
           o   5713-AFA  AIX PS/2 VS FORTRAN Version 1.1
           o   5713-AEZ  AIX PS/2 VS Pascal Version 1.1
           o   5713-AFC  AIX PS/2 C Language Version 1.1
                  Programming Announcement 287-507, dated November 3, 1987:
           o   5713-AER AIX PS/2 Workstation Host Interface Program Version 1.1
            (TM) Trademark of International Business Machines Corporation.
           CURRENT LICENSEES
           Current AIX PS/2 Version 1.2 licensed program customers (except
           5713-AEQ and 5713-AFH) will be sent maintenance releases
           automatically at no additional charge.
                  Current AIX PS/2 licensed program customers with 5713-AEQ
           and/or 5713-AFH Versions 1.2 will be sent a Program Reorder Form
           (PRF).  Customers who wish to receive the maintenance release on
           diskette media should return the PRF in order to be shipped the
           maintenance release on diskette, free of charge.  Customers who wish
           to receive the maintenance releases on DC2120 mini-cartridge media
           should first contact their IBM representative in order to submit a
           Miscellaneous Equipment Specification (MES) order changing the media
           feature number to 5525, 5526 or 5527 for the respective licensed
           program.  Subsequent to the MES order, customers should then return
           the PRF; the maintenance release will then be shipped to them
free of
           charge.
           NOTE: Use of the Backup Tape Unit DC2120 mini-cartridge requires the
           installation of an IBM PS/2 Tape Backup Unit (#5279, 30F5279) on an
           IBM PS/2 with a minimum of 3MB memory.
           IBM EDUCATION FULFILLMENT CENTER:  AIX PS/2 Operating System
           Version 1.2.1 and related AIX PS/2 Version 1.1.1 and 1.2.1 licensed
           programs are eligible to be ordered through the IBM Education
           Fulfillment Center.  Availability through the IBM Education
           Fulfillment Center may not coincide with the programming
availability
           dates in other sections of this document.
                  The IBM Education Fulfillment Center is the order processing
           location for selected personal computers and related
           hardware/software for eligible education end users.
           PROGRAM UPGRADE
                  The program package upgrade option allows currently licensed
           users of the following licensed programs to obtain new
function for a
           program upgrade charge.  The program upgrade to Version 1.2.1 of
           these licensed programs is available February 22, 1991.  Orders will
           be accepted now.  These upgrades will be available through IBM
           Authorized Personal Computer Dealers and Industry Remarketers --
           Personal Computers certified to market IBM Authorized Advanced
           Products.  The remarketer will require a Proof of License for each
           upgrade ordered.  The original Proof of License is the
separate Proof
           of License page in the program package as identified by IBM to the
           remarketer.
                  Refer to the original programming announcements for upgrade
           package ordering information.
           o   5713-AEQ  AIX PS/2 Operating System Version 1.1
           o   5713-AFH  AIX PS/2 Operating System Extensions Version 1.1
           o   5713-AEP  AIX PS/2 Application Development Toolkit Version 1.1
           o   5713-AEY  AIX PS/2 DOS Merge Version 1.1
           o   5713-AET  AIX PS/2 INmail/INed/INnet/INftp Version 1.1
           o   5713-AFD  AIX PS/2 Text Formatting System Version 1.1
           o   5713-AEW  AIX PS/2 TCP/IP Version 1.1
           o   5713-AEX  AIX PS/2 X-Windows Version 1.1
                  Customers may also order upgrades through the IBM branch
           office using the IBM Personal Computer/System Program M&S
Upgrade and
           Certification Order Form included with this announcement.
           TERMS AND CONDITIONS
           LICENSING:  AIX PS/2 Operating System Version 1.2.1 and related AIX
           PS/2 Version 1.1.1 and 1.2.1 licensed programs are licensed
under the
           terms and conditions of the IBM Program License Agreement.  A
copy of
           the agreement is included in the program package.
           ADDITIONAL LICENSE:  IBM Customer Agreement (ICA) must be in effect.
           LIMITED WARRANTY:
           o   Program:  Yes.  Media:  Three months.
           o   Additional Licenses:  Yes.  Media:  Not applicable.
           PROGRAM SERVICES:  Central service, including the IBM Support
Center,
           will be available until discontinued by IBM upon six months' written
           notice.  The discontinuance of the service date will coincide with
           the discontinuance of the service date for AIX/370 Version 1.2.1.
           The statement of service included in the program package describes
           this service.
           CUSTOMER FULFILLMENT OPTION:  Yes.
           VOLUME DISCOUNT:  Volume discounting is available under the
terms and
           conditions of the IBM Customer Agreement and the Exhibit for IBM AIX
           for RISC System/6000 (TM) Licensed Programs.  The programs in this
           announcement are in Category C.
                  Program upgrades are not eligible for quantity discounts.
            (TM) Trademark of International Business Machines Corporation.
           TESTING PERIOD:  Two months for up to three licenses.   ICA must be
           in effect.
           NATIONAL EDUCATION LICENSE FEE:  A National Education License Fee
           (NELF) is available under the terms and conditions of the National
           Education License Fee Exhibit.  The NELF, which represents a 33%
           discount off the single unit price, is not subject to any further
           discount or allowance.
           CHARGES
                                                             PROGRAM
                                              ONE-TIME       UPGRADE
           ORDER TYPE                         CHARGE         CHARGE
           AIX PS/2 OPERATING SYSTEM VERSION 1.2.1 (5713-AEQ) (1-16 USERS)
           Program Package                     $ 908
           Additional Licenses                   775
           Program Package Upgrade
             (1-16 Users)                                     $ 364
           Additional Licenses
             Upgrade from Version 1.1                           309
           AIX PS/2 OPERATING SYSTEM VERSION 1.2.1 (5713-AEQ) (1-2 USERS)
           Program Package User
             Level Increase
             from Version 1.2.1
             (1-2 to 1-16 Users)                              $ 228
           Additional Licenses
             User Level Increase
             from Version 1.2.1
             (1-2 to 1-16 Users)                                195
           Program Package                     $ 680
           Additional Licenses                   580
           Program Package Upgrade
             (1-2 Users)                                        271
           Additional Licenses
             Upgrade from Version 1.1                           231
                                                             PROGRAM
                                              ONE-TIME       UPGRADE
           ORDER TYPE                         CHARGE         CHARGE
           AIX PS/2 OPERATING SYSTEM EXTENSIONS VERSION 1.2.1 (5713-AFH)
           Program Package                     $ 314
           Additional Licenses                   158
           Program Package Upgrade                            $ 126
           Additional Licenses
             Upgrade from
             Version 1.1                                         63
           AIX PS/2 APPLICATION DEVELOPMENT TOOLKIT VERSION 1.2.1 (5713-AEP)
           Program Package                     $ 219
           Additional Licenses                   135
           Program Package Upgrade                             $ 87
           Additional Licenses
             Upgrade from
             Version 1.1                                         54
           AIX PS/2 TEXT FORMATTING SYSTEM VERSION 1.2.1 (5713-AFD)
           Program Package                     $ 251
           Additional Licenses                   150
           Program Package Upgrade                             $ 99
           Additional Licenses
             Upgrade from
             Version 1.1                                         60
           AIX PS/2 TRANSMISSION CONTROL PROTOCOL/INTERNET PROTOCOL
           VERSION 1.2.1 (5713-AEW)
           Program Package                     $ 377
           Additional Licenses                   333
           Program Package Upgrade                            $ 150
           Additional Licenses
             Upgrade from
             Version 1.1                                        133
           AIX PS/2 INMAIL/INED/INET/INFTP VERSION 1.2.1 (5713-AET)
           Program Package                     $ 314
           Additional Licenses                   265
           Program Package
             Upgrade                                          $ 125
           Additional Licenses
             Upgrade from
             Version 1.1                                        106
           AIX PS/2 X-WINDOWS VERSION 1.2.1 (5713-AEX)
           Program Package                     $ 244
           Additional Licenses                   162
           Program Package
             Upgrade                                           $ 62
           Additional Licenses
             Upgrade from
             Version 1.1                                         15
                                                             PROGRAM
                                              ONE-TIME       UPGRADE
           ORDER TYPE                         CHARGE         CHARGE
           AIXWINDOWS ENVIRONMENT FOR PS/2 VERSION 1.2.1 (5601-439)
           Program Package                     $ 520
           Additional Licenses                   468
           Program Package Upgrade
             from X-Windows
             Version 1.1                                      $ 312
           Additional Licenses
             Upgrade from
             X-Windows Version 1.1                              280
           Program Package Upgrade
             from X-Windows
             Version 1.2 or
             Version 1.2.1                                      312
           Additional Licenses
             Upgrade from X-Windows
             Version 1.2
             or Version 1.2.1                                   280
           AIX PS/2 TRANSPARENT COMPUTING FACILITY VERSION 1.2.1 (5713-AFK)
           Program Package                     $ 504
           Additional Licenses                   434
           AIX PS/2 NETWORK FILE SYSTEM VERSION 1.2.1 (5713-AFG)
           Program Package                     $ 504
           Additional Licenses                   457
           AIX PS/2 DOS MERGE VERSION 1.2.1 (5713-AEY)
           Program Package                     $ 314
           Additional Licenses                   246
           Program Package Upgrade                             $ 41
           Additional Licenses
             Upgrade from Version 1.1                            10
           AIX PS/2 C LANGUAGE VERSION 1.1.1 (5713-AFC)
           Program Package                     $ 345
           Additional Licenses                   253
           AIX PS/2 EXTENDED C LANGUAGE VERSION 1.2.1 (5621-143)
           Program Package                   $ 1,095
           Additional Licenses                 1,075
           AIX PS/2 USABILITY SERVICES VERSION 1.1.1 (5713-AFE)
           Program Package                     $ 314
           Additional Licenses                   267
                                              ONE-TIME
           ORDER TYPE                         CHARGE
           AIX PS/2 VS FORTRAN VERSION 1.1.1 (5713-AFA)
           Program Package                     $ 345
           Additional Licenses                   247
           AIX PS/2 VS PASCAL VERSION 1.1.1 (5713-AEZ)
           Program Package                     $ 345
           Additional Licenses                   211
           AIX PS/2 WORKSTATION HOST INTERFACE PROGRAM VERSION 1.1.1 (5713-AER)
           Program Package                     $ 504
           Additional Licenses                   419
           AIX PS/2 X.25 VERSION 1.2.1 (5601-202)
           Program Package                     $ 756
           Additional Licenses                   703
           ADDITIONAL LICENSES CHARGE:  Customers who pay a one-time charge for
           additional licenses may copy machine-readable program materials and
           printed documentation previously acquired from IBM in a program
           package.  One copy may be made for each additional license ordered.
           PROGRAM UPGRADE CHARGE:  A program upgrade charge will apply for
           those programs which offer upgrades from Version 1.1 to
           Version 1.2.1.