AIX DNS bug?

Charles Derykus ced at bcstec.uucp
Fri Feb 1 04:40:37 AEST 1991

  I'm having a domain name resolution problem with AIX. Apparently, recursive
lookup toward the root does not work, e.g.,

  suppose the machine "shoalcreek" is the "austin.ibm.com" domain and
          the machine "brazos"  is the "ibm.com" domain

  from "shoalcreek", I try to telnet to "brazos":

       shoalcreek# telnet brazos

  If you're on nameservice this should work.  Your "austin.ibm.com" nameserver
   won't find "brazos.austin.ibm.com" and so will pass the request up through
   cache to the nameserver for "ibm.com" who finds "brazos.ibm.com" in its
   domain and so sends successful resolution back to "shoalcreek".

  Only it doesn't work.  In our case here at Boeing with a comparable scenario
it just returns "unknown host".

Has anyone encountered this?  Any help much appreciated.

Charles DeRykus				Internet:   ced at bcstec.boeing.com
Boeing Computer Services		UUCP:	    ...!uunet!bcstec!ced
Renton, WA.  M/S 6R-37			(206) 938-4520 (home)