3rd party memory for RS-6000 530 installed!

Richard M. Mathews richard at locus.com
Sat Feb 9 10:22:18 AEST 1991

jfh at rpp386.cactus.org (John F Haugh II) writes:

>You also need to be aware that the algorithm for AIX v3's malloc
>is the same one used by BSD.  It uses "power of 2" allocation, which
>causes requests to be rounded up to the next larger power of 2.  Thus,
>for a 33MB request to be satisfied, you would have to have 64MB of
>space remaining in your data segment.

On AIX V1.2 (PS/2 and 370) there is an alternate malloc supplied in
libmalloc.  This is a System V version of malloc which makes more
efficient use of address space at the expense of taking more time to
search for free space and possibly taking more page faults.  As with
AIX V3, the default malloc in libc is the one used by BSD.

As far as I know, V3 does not provide libmalloc.

Richard M. Mathews			D efend
richard at locus.com			 E stonian-Latvian-Lithuanian
lcc!richard at seas.ucla.edu		  I ndependence
...!{uunet|ucla-se|turnkey}!lcc!richard