3rd party memory for RS-6000 530 installed!

John F Haugh II jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
Sun Feb 10 02:19:57 AEST 1991

In article <richard.666055338 at fafnir.la.locus.com> richard at locus.com (Richard M. Mathews) writes:
>On AIX V1.2 (PS/2 and 370) there is an alternate malloc supplied in
>libmalloc.  This is a System V version of malloc which makes more
>efficient use of address space at the expense of taking more time to
>search for free space and possibly taking more page faults.  As with
>AIX V3, the default malloc in libc is the one used by BSD.
>
>As far as I know, V3 does not provide libmalloc.

Nor could it, if IBM wanted to.  The malloc in the C library is
pre-bound with the other modules in the shared library.  This would
give you two different "malloc()"'s, which won't work.  So far as
I know, you would have to not use any functions in the C library
in order to use your own malloc.

Or you could just rename the malloc you want to use to "mymalloc()"
and hope those two malloc's can co-operate with each other ...
Ma Bell: (512) 832-8832                           Domain: jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
"I've never written a device driver, but I have written a device driver manual"
                -- Robert Hartman, IDE Corp.