Problem with telnet or kernel in AIX 3.1

jian at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu jian at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu
Thu Feb 28 03:38:23 AEST 1991

Hi,

Help needed!

I telneted to our RS/6000 running AIX 3.1 and fired an application program in
foreground. By accident, my terminal was dropped from the network (my PC had
power failure). Then I telneted to the RS/6000 again. I found that the
application program became a zombei process and still kept running in the
kernel. Is this true that the AIX kernel kills the telnet session, the shell
associated to the telnet session, as well as the application program when
the remote terminal accidently drops from the network. If it is true, I must
miss something in configuring the AIX kernel or the telnet deamon. Would
somebody point me out what should I do. I would appreciate any helps.

Otherwise, our RS/6000 will keep generating zombei processes whenever the
ethernet network fails or the remote terminal drops for some reasons.

Jian

Jian Q. Li
Network Programmer
University of Kansas
Computer Center                         Phone:    (913) 864-0358
Lawrence, KS. 66045                     Internet: jian at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu