Help catching floating point exceptions

Greg Lindahl gl8f at astsun.astro.Virginia.EDU
Fri Jun 7 04:29:26 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun6.032233.10629 at ibmpa.awdpa.ibm.com> jsalter at slo.awdpa.ibm.com (Jim Salter) writes:

>What trapping does is *serialize* the execution, forcing the instructions
>to be in-order, thus greatly limiting the performance by, as been noted
>many times, an order-of-magnitude.  This is not a trivial performance hit.

This is known as a design flaw. If it was too expensive to give a trap
on the "correct" instruction, then give me a trap that happens
sometime after the fault happens. That way I can run full-speed, and
have the code crash *near* the offending instruction. Or I could run
slower and be exact.

Crays have done this for years. If you can't give the best
environment, second-best is much better than nothing.