paging space

Richard M. Mathews richard at locus.com
Tue Jun 4 08:57:48 AEST 1991

rel at mtu.edu (Robert E. Landsparger) writes:

>In article <598 at afc-tci.UUCP>, joubert at afc-tci.UUCP (Joubert Berger) writes:
>|> Anyone know how to deactive a paging space.  I created a very large
>|> paging space and I know what to make it smaller.  So I am going to delete
>|> the paging space and recreate it.  But I need to first make the paging
>|> space unactive.  Any ideas?
>|> 	     Joubert

Please specify the platform and release on all questions.

>I currently don't know off a way to turn off paging space that is in use.  I
>am sure SOMEONE will correct (flame) me if I am wrong.

At least on AIX 1.2.* (PS/2 and 370) you can use the swapctl(SC_DEL,name)
call to remove a paging device on a running system.  Note that you can't
delete the last paging device -- you have to add a new one before you
delete the old one.  A floppy can be used as a temporary paging device
in order to grow or shrink an existing paging device).

Disclaimer: I only wrote the code.  I don't speak for LCC or IBM.

Richard M. Mathews			 Freedom for Lithuania
richard at locus.com				Laisve!
lcc!richard at seas.ucla.edu
...!{uunet|ucla-se|turnkey}!lcc!richard