paging space

Jack F. Vogel jackv at turnkey.tcc.com
Wed Jun 5 01:44:08 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun03.225748.1206154 at locus.com> richard at locus.com (Richard M. Mathews) writes:
>rel at mtu.edu (Robert E. Landsparger) writes:

>>I currently don't know off a way to turn off paging space that is in use.  I
>>am sure SOMEONE will correct (flame) me if I am wrong.

>At least on AIX 1.2.* (PS/2 and 370) you can use the swapctl(SC_DEL,name)
>call to remove a paging device on a running system.  Note that you can't
>delete the last paging device -- you have to add a new one before you
>delete the old one.  A floppy can be used as a temporary paging device
>in order to grow or shrink an existing paging device).

What Richard says is technically correct, however, swapctl() is a system
call, the administrator has no need to worry about that level of things,
there is an application interface to the call, /etc/swapoff and /etc/swapon
that do the job for you. I don't know if the 6000 provides these BSD
utilites or not. Also, if you want to change the default paging device
remember that the kernel has a global, swapdev, which it its idea of the
first swap device to use upon boot, this would need to be changed to
correctly specify the new device.

Disclaimer: Opinions are my own, not necessarily my employer's.

Jack F. Vogel			jackv at locus.com
AIX370 Technical Support	       - or -
Locus Computing Corp.		jackv at turnkey.TCC.COM