support (was: modems under delay...)

Pierre Asselin pa at curly.appmag.com
Sat Jun 22 06:45:25 AEST 1991

Let me see if I can help with the swelling...

In article <1991Jun20.173907.9412 at pensoft.uucp> pensoft!robin writes:
>Granted, the SEs don't always know which end is up, but they do have a
>support structure for "how-to" and "config" problems.  If it never gets
>used, it will never get better.  [...]

No, no, you don't understand.  Too many workstations, not enough
knowledgable SE's.  Too many bureaucrats standing in the way.  Right
answers to the wrong questions.  Denials.  Packing lists.

If a problem isn't a known bug or isn't obviously a new one and
therefore falls outside Software Defect's official purview, things are
grim.  The support structure really doesn't work that well.
Workstations aren't mainframes.  Streamline!  open systems!  power to
the troops!  death to red tape!

We're on IBMLINK through our mainframe and it helps a bit.  But
comp.unix.aix is way ahead.
--

--Pierre Asselin, R&D, Applied Magnetics.  I speak for me.