Control NFS exported filesystems

Jon Alperin jona at iscp.Bellcore.COM
Thu Jun 20 02:23:31 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun19.154830.17276 at uai.com>, mrl at uai.com (Mark R. Ludwig) writes:
|> In article <8567 at awdprime.UUCP>, marc at ekhomeni (Marc Wiz) writes:
|> >>

|> >To put it mildly this is not a good thing to do.  Remember if you mount the
|> >filesystem soft the client process will get an error after three
|> >retries.  If your
|> >application can handle this fine but I have to wonder how many applications
|> >can not.  If you care about your data I recommend hard mounts.  At least when
|> >the server/network comes back up the data will be written/read to/from
|> >the server.
|>
|> I agree fully.  At least one of the Sun administration manuals states
|> it bluntly: if you are mounting the NFS read/write, you should mount
|> it hard.  To do otherwise is to risk corrupted files.  However, I
|> believe if you have *very* intelligent applications manipulating the
|> files, you may disregard this warning, but I dare say the average Unix
|> utility is not in this category.  Furthermore, why would you want
|> this?  Since your application probably really wants to write the file
|> it was trying to write when the server went silent, then your
|> application has to keep trying until the server responds.  With
|> ``hard'' the system does it for you.

	Hey...maybe this explains the reason that when I save a file
under VI which is kept on another NFS partition, VI tells me that it
was able to save the file, but because the real physical disk was full I
end up with a 0 length file (and lose all my work).....

--
Jon Alperin
Bell Communications Research

---> Internet: jona at iscp.bellcore.com
---> Voicenet: (908) 699-8674
---> UUNET: uunet!bcr!jona

* All opinions and stupid questions are my own *