Control NFS exported filesystems

Marc Wiz marc at ekhomeni.austin.ibm.com
Wed Jun 19 05:12:41 AEST 1991

In article <91169.000329CALT at SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU>,
CALT at SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU writes:
> By exprience, I learned that mounting NFS filesystems by the
> hard/foreground options may cause the machines hanging, while
> by the soft/backgroud options seems to work OK.

To put it mildly this is not a good thing to do.  Remember if you mount the
filesystem soft the client process will get an error after three
retries.  If your
application can handle this fine but I have to wonder how many applications
can not.  If you care about your data I recommend hard mounts.  At least when
the server/network comes back up the data will be written/read to/from
the server.

> Here comes a problem: If some machine DOES mount my exported filesystems
> by the hard/foreground optins, it may cause my machines hanging. Is there
> any way to configure my exporting filesystems as follows:
>    Only the machines which use the soft/backgronud options will be allowed
> to use my exported filesystems.

The mount options are controlled from the client.  The server has no control
over this.

What are you trying to accomplish?

Marc Wiz 				MaBell (512)823-4780

NFS/NIS Change Team
Yes that really is my last name.
The views expressed are my own.

marc at aixwiz.austin.ibm.com
or
uunet!cs.utexas.edu!ibmchs!auschs!ekhomeni.austin.ibm.com!marc