network and 3005

Dave Beedle dbeedle at rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu
Tue Jun 4 14:32:28 AEST 1991

>>Recently I have the 3005 upgrade installed(RS6000/320). Since then I got
>>a lot of trouble with the ethernet. The network crashes
>>frequently(about twice a day, unable to rlogin, telnet, etc),
>
>Sounds familiar.  Do the folks in Austin have any comments?
>Systems affected are 320 with 16mb/320mb, and 520 with 16mb/600mb.
>My 530 (64mb/2.5gb) doesn't seem to be affected... is this a hint?
>
>Inquiring minds want to know... BAD.

     Add a model 530 with 16meg to the list.  I post about this (or
something very similar) a couple of weeks ago.  I did talk with software
support but they were unable to help.  They did suggest having our CE check
trace data from the network card (token ring in our case) but I never got
around to calling.  Our solution:  the problem "disappeared" after the
system crashed while installing 3005 updates.  I restored from backups (to
3003 and the problem was gone!  I'm assuming some kind of software glich
which appeared.  We are now at 3005 with no problems.
     If someone does figure it out this inquiring mind would like to know
what was/is going on as well.  For now...the AIX gremlins (with deamons
there's gotta be gremlins, right) fixed it!  I hate/love when that happens!

--
  Dave Beedle                                    Office of Academic Computing
                                                    Illinois State University