How do I get rid of confirmation dialog?

Alan Phillips alan at bach.net.com
Sat Jun 1 11:22:50 AEST 1991

I am using the AIXWindows 1.0 (Motif Rel. 1.0) and I would like to be able
to get rid of the feedback confirmation dialog that appears when you use
a "f.quit_mwm" function for a selection in your Motif window manager menu.
The reason I want to get rid of the dialog is that I am unable to change the
text that is displayed in it.

The text currently says "Quit MWM?".  The application I am developing is
intended for customers who aren't really expected to understand the
distinction between a window manager, X clients, etc.  So, I would like to
be able to display something more like "Exit OUR_APPLICATION_NAME" since
OUR_APPLICATION_NAME is what the user asked to start, not "mwm".

If I can stop the dialog from popping up, I can add an "Exit" entry to the
mwm menu and use a function like "f.exec exit_confirm", where exit_confirm
will pop up my own confirmation box with my own text.  If the user really wants
to exit, I can then do a "kill -1" to mwm.  That tells mwm to quit.  However,
mwm as it is now, will then pop up it's own confirmation box.

Our application also runs on the Sparc (under Motif 1.1) and I can use the
above technique buy setting the "Mwm*showFeedback" resource such that it
doesn't include "quit".  mwm then won't pop up the confirmation box when
you do a "f.quit_mwm" or a "kill -1" to mwm.

So, the only missing link in making my scheme work is being able to suppress
the blasted confirmation box.  Anyone got a suggestion?  I realize this
question might do better in "comp.windows.x.motif", but we unfortunately
do not get that group.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Alan
Alan Phillips 					Phone: (415) 780-4477
Network Equipment Tech., Redwood City, CA
internet: alan at bach.net.com 			UUCP: ...ames!unet!bach!alan