xntp installation

Tim Fredrick fredrick at acd.uucp
Fri Jun 28 04:22:02 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun26.212904.6144 at bnlux1.bnl.gov> como at max.bnl.gov (Andrew T. Como) writes:

>If anyone has been successful installing xntp on aix3.1.3005
>please contact me.  Help would be appreciated
>		Andrew Como  INTERNET: como at bnl.gov

You can get AIX-configures sources from our machine (for the next few days)
anonymous ftp acd.ucar.edu in pub/rs6000/xntp.tar.Z.

We put an entry in /etc/rc.tcpip that looks like this:

	# Start up network time protocol daemon
	# start /usr/local/bin/xntpd "$src_running"
	echo "starting the network time protocol daemon"
	/usr/local/bin/ntpdate 128.117.64.2
	/usr/local/bin/xntpd
	echo "The date from Ft. Collins WWV is " `date`

Of course you need to replace the 128.117.64.2 with the IP number of
your own time server.  Here is what our /etc/ntp.conf looks like:

	#	Precision of the local clock to the nearest power of 2
	#		ex.
	#			60-HZ   = 2**-6
	#			100-HZ  = 2**-7
	#			1000-HZ = 2**-10
	precision -7
	#
	#	Peers - please refer to the README file for proper selection of
	#		NTP peers
	#
	# peer       umd1.umd.edu
	server       128.117.64.2
	driftfile /etc/ntp.drift

Note that xntp required an OS patch to be installed until 3.1.5.  Now AIX
3.1.5 runs xntp without any problems.  Hope that helps.  --Tim Fredrick
							fredrick at acd.ucar.edu