ties and aix

John Burton jcburt at ipsun.larc.nasa.gov
Thu Jun 13 22:44:06 AEST 1991

In article <676737217.25035 at minster.york.ac.uk> forsyth at minster.york.ac.uk writes:
>I must object to the association being proposed between `wearing a tie'
>and `competence in technical matters'.  I am currently wearing a rather
>nice tie from Liberty, and if you were therefore to assume that I was
>not really up to kernel work, you might be making a big mistake!
>Furthermore, `plimsolls, jeans, and T-shirt' seems just as much of a
>conformist convention in some cults as `suit and tie'.
>Some of the net articles are remarkably defensive in tone.
>``No, honestly, we don't conform either: we all wear jeans & t-shirts just like you!''
>Perhaps this nonsense bears little weight in any assessment of ability
>and originality.
>Let us return to technical issues and abandon sartorial sniping!

Different countries, different customs...In the states (or colonies if you will)
the "coat & tie" look is typical of a *business* type person, be they salesmen,
accountants, managers, etc...the casual attire (no tie!!!) is typical of a
technical type, engineer, scientist, technician, etc (those who actually *do* the
work...:-). In technical matters I would much rather hear from a technical
type instead of a business type...when was the last time you trusted a salesman
to give you a straight answer? (and when was the last time you saw a salesman NOT
wear a tie???)

John

| John Burton                                                        |
| G & A Technical Software                                           |
| jcburt at gatsibm.larc.nasa.gov                                       |
| jcburt at cs.wm.edu                                                   |
| Disclaimer: Hey, what can I say...These are *my* views, not those  |
|             of anyone else, be they employer, school, or government|