How can I boot my 320 off of an IBM distribution tape?

Tim Fredrick fredrick at acd.uucp
Tue Jun 4 08:43:57 AEST 1991

In article <11641 at ncar.ucar.edu> fredrick at acd.acd.ucar.edu (Tim Fredrick) writes:
>I need to upgrade an IBM Risc-System 6000/320 from AIX3.1.2 to AIX3.1.5 by
>a complete reinstallation of the operating system from exabyte tape (what is
>running right now is too badly corrupted).  The release notes said that
>you had to do this:
>
>	bootlist -m service fd rmt badisk scdisk

I think I answered my own question.  The "** CATALOG ERROR **" messages
were coming from the corrupted / filesystem, even though the bootlist
command said to search the tape first.  I used the following bootlist
command which seemed to work:

        bootlist -m service fd rmt

I was able to then boot off of the AIX3.1.5 tape and reinstall the
operating system.  As far as I can tell, the installation manual and
release notes on AIX3.1.5 are in error on this point.  Anyone have any
further comments?  Thanks.  --Tim