How can I boot my 320 off of an IBM distribution tape?

Tim Fredrick fredrick at acd.acd.ucar.edu
Tue Jun 4 07:23:34 AEST 1991

I need to upgrade an IBM Risc-System 6000/320 from AIX3.1.2 to AIX3.1.5 by
a complete reinstallation of the operating system from exabyte tape (what is
running right now is too badly corrupted).  The release notes said that
you had to do this:

	bootlist -m service fd rmt badisk scdisk

on any system that already had an operating system installed.  I executed
this command, then turned the switch to SERVICE and powered on.  The
system indeed tried to boot from tape but gave me a screen full of

        ** CATALOG ERROR **

messages and nothing else.  Now, I can't boot from diskette either -- I get
the same ** CATALOG ERROR ** messages.  What hasn't IBM told us in their
release notes?  Has anyone else run across the same situation?  Thanks.  --Tim