ulimit/setrlimit

Steve McDowell mcdowell at exlog.com
Sat Jun 1 07:33:14 AEST 1991

jones at chpc.utexas.edu (Bill Jones) asks:
>Has anybody gotten setrlimit to work for them?
>Has any one gotten the ulimit command to work.

If you are playing with traditional things such as max file
sizes and the like, then these two system calls should
work just as expected.

If, however, you are trying to play with things such as
stack limits, the calls behave very differently from each
other. They do work though, the document just needs to
be read to determine the right values to plug in.

I seem to remember something about setrlimit not taking
absolute sizes as ulimit does. It takes addresses relative
to the stack floor. Something like that. The key point is
that the calls are different and you need to be aware of
that.