AIX vs standard unix

dcm at plato.austin.ibm.com dcm at plato.austin.ibm.com
Wed Jun 5 23:26:52 AEST 1991

In article <carl.676077327 at probitas> carl at probitas.cs.utas.edu.au (Carl Lewis) writes:

>NUP , Sorry but it does. We were having trouble with lack of space in /tmp
>, a few quick comparisons of df an du showed a missing 11 Mg ( a problem
>when the partition is 12 Meg :-). A quick fsck showed all the missing blocks
>marked as lost (?) . fsck WOULDN'T reclaim them, we had to destroy and
>recreate the partition (thankfully not to much of a headache under jfs.

	Any clue at all to what caused this?  If you can recreate this
	and give us something to work on, I'd love to work on a REAL
	jfs problem.  I haven't seen one yet.

	So far all reported jfs problems (that I'm aware of) have been user
	errors.  Root programs unlinking directories, things like this.  I
	haven't seen an actual bug yet (oops, take that back.  saw one about
	5 months ago.  however, it didn't cause blocks to be lost....)

>But jfs can and does 'loose it'.  We've had other problems in which jfs
>is implicated but at the moment we can't quite pin it squarely through
>jfs alone.  We tracke out problem down to one program somehow confusing
>hell out of jfs and so stopped using that program (screen dammit :-( :-( ).

	Could you look at that program, figure out what's breaking us,
	and submit it as a defect?  I realize that's time consuming, but
	that's our only chance of fixing the problem...  Thanks...

>    Carl : Programmer (etc) with University of Tasmania
>Internet : carl at cs.utas.edu.au || C.S.Lewis at cs.utas.edu.au
>Address          || carl at probitas.cs.utas.edu.au

	Craig "don't blame me for fsck" Miller
Craig Miller			Internet:	dcm at aixwiz.austin.ibm.com
IBM Austin			Vnet:		tkg007 at ausvmq
AIXV3 Change Team (level3)	IBM internal:	dcm at littleguy.austin.ibm.com
"I do not represent IBM or any other respectable company."