AIX vs standard unix

Grover Davidson grover at skybridge.SCL.CWRU.Edu
Fri Jun 7 23:17:10 AEST 1991

I am not a n year veteran on the RS/6000 or unix in general, but
i do have several years in systems admin on many other machines.

It is my opinion that IBM has tried to do some things to make unix
easier to administrate for both the more advanced admins as well as the
new admins. How many admins out there would like to chuck the  extendable
JFS? What about modifying the system while users are on?

I do, however, believe that IBM DOES SUFFER from the 'WE'RE IBM AND BECAUSE
WE ARE, WE WILL MAKE THE STANDARDS'. I think that if they publish some sort
of 'intro to AIX Admin for experienced Unix Admins' type manual.

Change is what allows us to take advantage of new ideas in both hardware and
software. What if people had the same attitudes about not changing when
unix was first thought of? we wouldn't have unix or alot of other things.

They have listened to us some. The changes at IBM Defect support do show that.
The problem that I, and many other accounts in this area, is that there is
only 1 SE for over 60 sites. As a result, we get NO SUPPORT. and IBM does
not seem to care about it. Our SE doesn't even have any backups. This is
probably not uncommon for IBM, but it sure does irritate me!

We get better support and assistance from the net that we do from IBM.
Am i supprised? NO! I have NEVER SEEN IBM PROVIDE HIGH QUALITY SUPPORT
FROM IT'S OWN ORGANIZATION!!

Remember, they will probably listen better if we tell them not only what
they keep screwing up, but also what they do fix correctly. Don't you wish
people took that attitude towards you as a sys admin?

--
Grover Davidson  (grover at ccai.clv.oh.us) | I speek ONLY for myself. My views do
Conley, Canitano, & Assoc. Inc.          | not in any way relect those of my