format on rs6000

Richard Hasting rich at kunikpok.uucp
Sun Jun 23 03:21:44 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun21.134118.960 at mlb.semi.harris.com> jdr at sloth.mlb.semi.harris.com (Jim Ray) writes:
>Has anyone been able to format a disk on the RS6000 boxes (
>specifically the model 540 )?
>
>Is there a way to format while not booted off floppy ( diagnostics )?

 No, there isn't.

>We have had problems formatting normal scsi drives on the IBM, and the
>support people have not been of much help.

What kind of scsi drives?  There are some scsi drives out there that
have some problems that were "uncovered" when the 3003 CS update
came out.  If you are having to define the drive as an "OTHER SCSI"
then you might need a new driver for your drive to work.  I don't
remember precisely what the APAR is, but the device driver is
available from Austin Support.

>Thanks,

You're welcome.

--
       Richard Hasting, Austin TX.
       rich at kunikpok.uucp; ... !cs.utexas.edu!icus.com!kunikpok!rich

kunikpok.uucp won't work for a while, use the other address for now.