/etc/getty and /etc/inittab woes

Chris Cheyney bokonon at prism.gatech.EDU
Tue Jun 4 06:57:40 AEST 1991

I have a problem with AIX 3.1 and gettys.  I add a line for my custom
getty like this into /etc/inittab:
	tty2:2:respawn:/etc/mygetty -a tty2 19200

and all looks like it goes well.  I wander off and leave the port
alone for a while, perhaps with people trying to call into it, or not,
I'm not altogether certain, but I come back and am looking at this
line:
	tty2:2:respawn:/etc/getty /dev/tty2

which is not right for what I want.  No person has modified it that I
know of, so I'm assuming that some process is thwacking me.  Has anyone
else encountered this, and if so, how did you solve the problem?

This reset of /etc/inittab entries occurs always after a reboot and
occurs other times (these circumstances I'm not sure of).  Any
suggestions?

By the way, mygetty is a wrapper for a modem so I don't make it chatter
endlessly.  It forks off /etc/getty with the -r option.

Any suggestions for solving this problem (as well as explaining why
sometimes I receive a SIGCHLD signal) would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

chris
---
Chris Cheyney                              | When you go to North Carolina,
386 Rose Creek Road, Franklin NC 28734     | you set your watch back 20 years.
Internet: chris at dixie.com (Marietta, GA)   | When you go to Georgia, you set
UUCP:     {backbones}!emory!rsiatl!chris   | your laws back 100.