AIX vs standard unix

jsalter at ibmpa.awdpa.ibm.com jsalter at ibmpa.awdpa.ibm.com
Thu Jun 6 14:09:37 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun5.165004.26667 at alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca> system at alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca (System Admin (Mike Peterson)) writes:
>In article <8191 at awdprime.UUCP> dls at dce.austin.ibm.com writes:
>>It's important to note that xlf is NOT f77; that's not a mere spelling
>>difference, the name change was justified.

>Gratuitous changes like this cause havoc for users, and for sysadmins
>trying to figure out how to make it work in a reasonable way, especially
>for packages that include (possibly nested) Makefiles. I assume by "f77"
>you mean the BSD f77 - most other vendors (HP/Apollo and SGI to quote
>systems we have here) call their compiler f77 even though it has
>no connection with BSD f77. Why do you allow your "xlc" C compiler to be
>called as "cc" - is it really related to the original "cc", or is it
>because compatability with the world is a good thing?

I don't understand.  Just add a stanza in /etc/xlf.cfg, and make a link
from /bin/f77 to /bin/xlf, and now you have a f77.  If you want to get into
the deeper aspects of why xlf isn't the 4.3 BSD f77, you'll have to fight
it out with one of the compiler folks.

Invocation	Actual Command (/etc/xl[cfp].cfg)
cc	==	/usr/lpp/xlc/bin/xlcentry -D_IBMR2 -D_AIX -bhalt:4 -H512
			-T512 -qlanglvl=extended -qnoro -lc

xlf	==	/usr/lpp/xlf/bin/xlfentry .... (can't find the right machine..)

pascal	==	/usr/lpp/xlp/bin/xlpentry ....

>Mike Peterson, System Administrator, U/Toronto Department of Chemistry
>E-mail: system at alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca

jim/jsalter  IBM PSP, Palo Alto  T465/(415)855-4427  VNET: JSALTER at AUSVMQ
Internet: jsalter at slo.awdpa.ibm.com         UUCP: ..!uunet!ibmsupt!jsalter
"IBM part #23521, aka Lt. Commander Data"    The stuff above is on my own.