AIX vs standard unix

Richard Dellaripa richd at prism.gatech.EDU
Fri Jun 7 03:49:00 AEST 1991

jsalter at ibmpa.awdpa.ibm.com writes:

>I don't understand.  Just add a stanza in /etc/xlf.cfg, and make a link
>from /bin/f77 to /bin/xlf, and now you have a f77.  If you want to get into
>the deeper aspects of why xlf isn't the 4.3 BSD f77, you'll have to fight
>it out with one of the compiler folks.

If it's so easy to do (and I don't see why it wouldn't be), why didn't
IBM do it themselves? This illustrates the major problem I personally
have with AIX...its developers seemed to have often changed things from
the de facto Un*x standards for no (percieved at least) real reason.
I'd bet I could set up a rough configuration with any other Unix-based
system that would work in my environment in an afternoon, without looking in
the manuals. But with AIX, I'm forced to move two steps backwards, and
relearn things.

                   Richard C. Dellaripa -- GTRI/EOL
        Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, Georgia, 30332
         Internet: richd at prism.gatech.edu Phone: (404) 894-3357