How to single-user boot a RS/6000

Manish Arya manish at thinker.almaden.ibm.com
Fri Jun 7 03:44:30 AEST 1991

In a recent append, ericw at autosys.com (Eric D. Williams) writes...
>  So when we turn it
>  on here in San Diego, it locks up waiting of the San Jose NIS
>  servers to respond.  So my question: how do you boot one of these
>  things into single-user mode so I can fix the problem?

An UNOFFICIAL response....

If I ever need to disable NIS on a machine because no servers are
around, I push the big yellow switch (unless the system gives me
a chance to type "shutdown -Fr"), wait for the message
"Starting tcpip daemons" to come up on the screen, and then
immediately press control-C several times.  This seems to abort
the boot sequence early enough that ypbind doesn't start.

Then I edit /etc/rc.nfs and comment out the line that starts ypbind
and "shutdown -Fr" to boot the system properly.

- Manish Arya