curses (the library)

William Dean Norris II wdn at reef.cis.ufl.edu
Sat Jun 8 03:12:45 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun6.202337.27453 at ibmpa.awdpa.ibm.com> you write:
>In article <WDN.91Jun5180238 at bebop.math.ufl.edu> wdn at math.ufl.edu (William Dean Norris II) writes:
>>Is there a curses library which is compatible with SysV 3.x (and up)
>>what we really need is the addch() function, I really don't want to
>>have to write it.
>
>According to the include files <cur01.h> and <curses.h> it says that
>addch() is a macro and is defined as waddch(stdscr,ch).  Is this what you
>need?  By the way, I mention this is the /usr/lpp/bos/bsdport document.

What I was attempting to say is that wattrset () in the
curses library *doesn't* work, allegedly it works on HFTs.  The only
attribute which works is standout mode.  Blinking, underline, bold,
etc... do *not* work.  The include file calls these attributes,
A_STANDOUT, A_UNDERLINE, A_REVERSE, A_BLINK, A_DIM, A_BOLD, A_ALTCHARSET.

Actually the code we need is refresh ().  Addch() (or waddch () if you
perfer) seems to set the flags in the proper (at least I hope) arrays,
but refresh () (wrefresh () if you perfer) is what sends the escape
sequences to the terminal, (I think).

Low level curses routines not working is making it almost impossible
for us to port to the RISC System/6000.  We don't want to have to try
and write wrefresh (), or a new curses library for our software.

>>William Dean Norris II

>jim/jsalter  IBM PSP, Palo Alto  T465/(415)855-4427  VNET: JSALTER at AUSVMQ
>Internet: jsalter at slo.awdpa.ibm.com         UUCP: ..!uunet!ibmsupt!jsalter
>"IBM part #23521, aka Lt. Commander Data"    The stuff above is on my own.

BTW, who owns the trademark on RS/6000?

Also how do you make the RISC System/6000/520 remember it's uname, after
you set it (with uname -S) and do a uname it shows correctly,
but after you shut it down it returns to it's default name (AIX).

--
-----
William Dean Norris II		"Darling it's better down