How to DECREASE paging space?

TOLLIVER J S jxt at ornl.gov
Sat Jun 22 01:28:19 AEST 1991

ell, I once increased my paging space. Now I want to decrease it since
I've got a new external hard disk (in a separate volume group) upon
which I've enabled some paging space. I wish to decrease the paging
space on the internal 320MB disk so I can get some of that space
reallocated to /usr. But how? Deactivating the pagins space on HD6
with SMIT and rebooting doesn't do it. It seems that sometime during
reboot, the paging space on HD6 is used even if it is marked as
deactivated. Once activated, it cannot be reduced in size. It is
easy to activate and deactivate the paging space on my external
hard disk (with SMIT and rebooting, that is), but how can I tell
AIX to use only the HD9 paging space (that's what I called the partition
on the external drive that I marked as paging space) and not the
HD6 partition on rootvg?

Is this a maintenance mode problem? Can it be done even then?

Thanks,
Johnny Tolliver (jxt at ornl.gov)