AIX PS/2 1.2.1

HAAS hh2 at prism.gatech.EDU
Sat Jun 15 11:26:22 AEST 1991

In article <8453 at awdprime.UUCP> whitey at whitey.austin.ibm.com (/2113674) writes:

>Has anyone ever successfully used an IBM
>6451-109 non-cached SCSI adapter card with the
>AIX 1.2.1? I was able to use it with no problems
>with AIX 1.2 with 1008PTF's. But it appears
>broken now in 1.2.1. It does not even recognize
>that I have the SCSI adapter in the machine.

(Thanks for the info . . )

No.
1st let me say that the ONLY drive I have on my 80 is a 660 SCSI.

I've had to do a binary patch on earlier versions to get the install code
to work, and I patched the 1.2.1 disk in the same fasion, BUT . .

When I began the installation of 1.2.1, it failed when it came time to
"run the system from hard disk"
It DID access the disk on install, it DID make the minidisks,
I just assumed that the patch I made worked for the 1.2 install code,
but not for the 1.2.1 install code.

Anyway, my only choice was to re-install 1.2, and when I considered the
long and contorted process I was about to undertake, AGAIN, I said
to HELL with it, and I now have one *nice* DOS box.

If I added up the time I've spent circumventing the problems encountered
by AIX PS/2, I have certainly spent more $$ time than the list price
of ALL AIX software available today, and that's at minimum wage!!

*WHEN* AIX was runinng, I liked it VERY MUCH. But I like a Jaguar XJS,
too (when it runs) I just can't afford the down-time and shop fees of
either. I reported the install code problem to IBM damn near six months
ago, and just last week they finally said "well, I guess we're gonna issue
an APAR on this one". Gee, thanks. In the mean time, what the hell do I
do with this $10,000 high-tech contraption in the corner of my office?
It's a darn shame. If I were you, I'd demand my money back . . .

hh
---