"rdump" only writes half as much data as "backup"

Mark R. Ludwig mrl at uai.com
Fri Jun 14 08:22:33 AEST 1991

In article <HENKEL%NEPJT.91Jun12234846 at nepjt.ncsuvx.ncsu.edu>, henkel%nepjt (Chuck Henkel) writes:
>backup -0 -b 126 -f - /u | rsh rs2 dd of=/dev/rmt0 obs=126
>
>The dd dies immediately with "invalid argument to system call" or
>somesuch. In fact, I can't get dd to write on the tape at all.

I *do* hope you mistyped your post and had

	obs=126b
	       ^
or
	obs=126k
	       ^
or something more than 126 bytes!  On the other hand, I tried this and
got:

	dd: 0511-053 The write failed.
	: Invalid Argument

so maybe you did.  In that case, I suggest you try a larger blocksize.$$
--
INET: mrl at uai.com       UUCP: uunet!uaisun4!mrl       PSTN: +1 213 822 4422
USPS: 7740 West Manchester Boulevard, Suite 208, Playa del Rey, CA  90293