utmp fix?

Mark Coverdill mcover at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu
Mon Jun 3 13:11:18 AEST 1991

In article <19352 at rpp386.cactus.org> jfh at rpp386.cactus.org (John F Haugh II) writes:
>This is a program that I use here to keep my utmp file clean.  I
>posted it once before and someone at IBM brushed it up and made
>it look pretty.  Here it is again ...
>--
 [ program deleted ]

As a followup to my original posting about the utmp file,  I called
Defect Support at IBM about this problem.  They said that they indeed
knew about the problem and the fix didn't make it into 3005 but would
be glad to send me 2006 (I guess this is the title for intermediate
fixes between major fixes??).  I applied 2006 and now everything works
like a charm!  They even sent the fix by overnight mail so all told the
problem was solved in less than 48 hours, even faster than the net on
this particular occasion (score one for IBM :-)).

BTW, 2006 was more than just a fix to the utmp file, much more.  It was
late Friday afternoon so I didn't get a chance to scan the change list
but many of the major lpp's such as bos.obj, etc. were brought up to
003.0006.0012 (I think?) not to mention it took close to an hour to
upgrade (much to my surprise!).

Anyway, I'm happy, my users are happy and the computer is happy, so those
of you with the same problem can look for 2006 or possibly 3007 in the
not so distant future :-)

A big thanks to all those who responded...

Mark

BTW, the system is an RS 6000/320 running AIX v3.1.5/2006.

--
Mark Coverdill                                  The Ohio State University
Internet: mcover at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu             Columbus, Ohio