adding a PC as a TTY

Corey Wirun root at scona.UUCP
Tue Jun 25 23:23:47 AEST 1991

Is there something I'm missing here.....

I want to hang a PS/2 serially off my RS/6000-520 (3003 code). I 'made'
a null modem cable by takinga regular modem cable and switching just
pins #2-3 (i.e. 2->3, 3->2). I def'd a tty at 9600 baud and set it to
enable logins. When I try to get onto the RS on the PC using kermit, I
can't for the life of me get a login banner. There is a getty running
on the RS, but it has a '?' on it for the tty under 'ps -e'.

I'm also using IBM's patch for RTS/CTS flow control on the serial port
of the RS.

I'm able to exchange characters when running kermit on both machines, but
not able to get a login from the PC. Is it the cable? I've rebooted after
the TTY setup to no avail. It seems that there was some discussion around
setting up TTY's before.....

Thanks!

"This, of course, is impossible..."  - Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
        Corey Wirun, BSc - Systems Analyst,  Esso Petroleum Canada,
               Strathcona Refinery.  Edmonton, Alberta
root at scona.UUCP aunro!ugc!edm!scona!root cwirun at uncanet.BITNET cwirun at ucnet.ucalgary.ca