Does AIX have the TLI ?

Mike Stefanik mike at bria.UUCP
Sun Jun 30 03:31:18 AEST 1991

In an article, rbraun at spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) writes:
>Gack.  AIX, TLI, SNA, SAA, SAS, IBM, UBM, we all BM for IBM...  I can't
>keep up with all these buzzwords.  What, pray tell, _is_ TLI?

Gotta say Rich, this gave me quite a chuckle.  "We all BM for IBM..."
That's pretty good.

Seriously, TLI stands for Transport Layer Interface.  Without getting into
writing a novel on the subject ...

The ISO (International Standards Organization) defined OSI (Open Systems
Interconnection), which is broken into seven layers:

		Application
		Presentation
		Session
		------------ Transport Layer Interface
		Transport
		Network
		Link
		Physical

OSI defines the message passing between the layers, and the actions that
the layers take themselves.  TLI sits "between" the transport and session
layers, providing a common interface for applications to talk to a resource
provider (such as TCP/IP on a network that groks IP).

--
Mike Stefanik, MGI Inc., Los Angeles -- Opinions stated are never realistic!
"He who inspects errno before a system call returns failure shall be buried