3 button mouse on ps/2 aix 1.2 ...

Minh Tran-Le/65535 mtranle at paris.IntelliCorp.COM
Thu Jun 20 06:15:10 AEST 1991

jackv at turnkey.tcc.com (Jack F. Vogel) writes:

>In article <mtranle.677056022 at paris> mtranle at paris.IntelliCorp.COM (Minh Tran-Le/65535) writes:
>>Does anyone knows if it is possible to use 3button mouse (logitech)
>>on a ps/2 with aix 1.2?
>>
>>My logitech mouse works fine under dos and looking at the source code
>>of X11R4 server from mit, it does have code for supporting 3 button
>>mice.  But somehow the hft driver gets in the way and always mask the
>>bits for the middle button.
>
>It was my understanding that the server would have to be modified and
>recompiled to get this to work. So definitely NO with the server as
>shipped you can use a three button mouse but the middle button will be
>ignored. I know because my office-mate wanted to do this very thing and
>I believe he ended up modifying the server.

>What isn't clear from your posting is whether you are saying that you
>built the X11R4 server and it still didn't work or just that you looked
>at that source?? I don't believe anything in the kernel should keep this
>from working.

>Disclaimer: I don't speak for LCC or IBM.

>--
>Jack F. Vogel			jackv at locus.com
>AIX370 Technical Support	       - or -
>Locus Computing Corp.		jackv at turnkey.TCC.COM

I was actually refering to the MIT X11R4 server for the ibm ps/2 aix.
And the MIT's code a runtime test to see if you have a 2 or 3 buttons
mouse.

When I was trying to track down why I couldn't use the middle button,
I found out that the underlying hft driver for the mouse seems to
filter out the bit for the middle button.

Just try to modify /usr/lib/samples/hft/hftmouse.c to work with a 3
button mouse. You will never get a middle button event.

Minh Tran-Le.