Talking to an RS/6000

Rudy Chukran rudy at chukran.austin.ibm.com
Fri Jun 7 01:24:49 AEST 1991

> I have an RS/6000 running AIX 3.1.5 and connected to the internet.
> I also have an IBM-PC/XT (running DOS 4.01) and dialup access to
> an internet terminal server using Procomm Plus. I can connect to the
> RS/6000 via the terminal server just fine now (I was able to connect,
> but the connection would just freeze under AIX 3.1.3...looks like
> that was fixed in 3.1.5) and do editing or whatever (the terminal
> emulation works fine). I JUST CAN'T TRANSFER FILES!!!
> I've tried using the XMODEM supplied with AIX (I get the impression
> its designed to be used under ATE when trying to connect the RS/6000
> TO another computer using a serial line) which won't work. I get
> "timeout" errors from Procomm - its apparently not getting any response
> from AIX-XMODEM. I've also tried C-Kermit, but it gives me a message about
> having trouble gaining exclusive access to a port and the Procomm Kermit
> side timesout. I've used both XMODEM and C-Kermit for transferring files
> through this same terminal server, but to different hosts on the internet.

The AIX xmodem version is a checksum only version.  If the PC xmodem
is trying to do a CRC xmodem, things will timeout when the PC
requests the first packet. (presuming you are pulling from RS to PC).
Check to see if Procomm is using CRC or checksum xmodem.

It could be that your serial port isnt set up.  What serial port are
you using on the 6000 and what is the stty parameters?

You mention
using a terminal server.  Is this terminal server attached via LAN and
uses telnet/rlogin to log in to the 6000?  If this is the case,
indeed AIX xmodem was not designed to be used over anything other than
a serial port, (really meaning it wasnt tested elsewhere) but
there shouldnt be anything to prevent it from working.
It does a conditioning ioctl to stdin/stdout write/reads everything
from stdin/stdout, and puts it back the way it was.
IBM AIX Porting Center  | RSCS: CHUKRAN at AUSTIN
11400 Burnet Rd.        | AWDnet: rudy at chukran.austin.ibm.com
Internal ZIP 2830       | internet: chukran at austin.iinus1.ibm.com
Austin, Texas 78758     | Voice: 512-838-4674  Tieline: 678-4674