Talking to an RS/6000

John Burton jcburt at ipsun.larc.nasa.gov
Wed Jun 5 23:22:59 AEST 1991

Okay, I've got a slight problem and am hoping someone out there
in RS/6000 netland can help me.

I have an RS/6000 running AIX 3.1.5 and connected to the internet.
I also have an IBM-PC/XT (running DOS 4.01) and dialup access to
an internet terminal server using Procomm Plus. I can connect to the
RS/6000 via the terminal server just fine now (I was able to connect,
but the connection would just freeze under AIX 3.1.3...looks like
that was fixed in 3.1.5) and do editing or whatever (the terminal
emulation works fine). I JUST CAN'T TRANSFER FILES!!!
I've tried using the XMODEM supplied with AIX (I get the impression
its designed to be used under ATE when trying to connect the RS/6000
TO another computer using a serial line) which won't work. I get
"timeout" errors from Procomm - its apparently not getting any response
from AIX-XMODEM. I've also tried C-Kermit, but it gives me a message about
having trouble gaining exclusive access to a port and the Procomm Kermit
side timesout. I've used both XMODEM and C-Kermit for transferring files
through this same terminal server, but to different hosts on the internet.

Can someone suggest a way to do this on the RS/6000? Apparently I don't
have Kermit on the RS/6000 set up properly...can someone tell me how it
*should* be setup?

John

| John Burton                                                        |
| G & A Technical Software                                           |
| jcburt at gatsibm.larc.nasa.gov                                       |
| jcburt at cs.wm.edu                                                   |
| Disclaimer: Hey, what can I say...These are *my* views, not those  |
|             of anyone else, be they employer, school, or government|