problem with xterm on RS6000NN

Richard Basch probe at athena.mit.edu
Thu Jun 27 17:07:59 AEST 1991

Using the "reset" command seems to fix the prompt.  The real problem is that
xterm does not initialize the termio structure.  We get around the problem
in our environment as we use a custom xlogin, and the console window
associated with it has a tty associated with it.  The user's session is
started in the console tty, and as long as that is initialized, the xterms
inherit the tty attributes.

Basically, you have to do one of 2 things:
1. Modify xterm to do the proper termio initialization (about 15 lines of code)
2. Spawn xterm from a process associated with an already initialized tty.

-Richard