Upgrade????? Was: Why does this fail?

moody at snap.austin.ibm.com moody at snap.austin.ibm.com
Wed Jun 12 04:05:27 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun11.120248.18730 at bellcore.bellcore.com> jona at iscp.Bellcore.COM (Jon Alperin) writes:
[stuff deleted]

>p.p.s. Now that I think about it, I do have one gripe with these fixes. Why does AIX Defect Support always want me to reboot a machine after applying a fix. Don't they realize that people can just enter the commands from the .rc files and apply most of th
>e fixes without having to get everyone to log off and then reboot a machine? If IBM is serious about supporting distributed computing, then they better realize that rebooting machines to apply fixes is not the way to go.
>(just wanted to get my two sense in...)

It is always necessary to reboot after installing an update, because updates have always
included a new kernel (/unix).  That is a true statement at this time.  The new kernel
will not be running on the machine until reboot time.  You will probably  have many
problems if you don't reboot.

If you get an emergency fix that does not include /unix, it is almost certainly not
necessary to reboot.

James Moody				aixnet:moody at moody.austin.ibm.com
Personal Systems Programming Austin	VNET:MOODY at AUSVMQ
AIX Field Support - Level 3		internet:moody at aixwiz.austin.ibm.com