Upgrade????? Was: Why does this fail?

Jon Alperin jona at iscp.Bellcore.COM
Tue Jun 11 22:02:48 AEST 1991

  Yo!
In article <19371 at rpp386.cactus.org>, jfh at rpp386.cactus.org (John F Haugh II) writes:
	<stuff done gone to that great bit bucket in the sky>

|> By the way - you should always mention version number.  The answer
|> to many problems may be as simple as "Upgrade to the newest level",
|> but without that level information there is no way to make that
|> determination.
|> --
|> John F. Haugh II        | Distribution to  | UUCP:

  I think you are trivializing the case. I have well over 100 machines, and
often cannot upgrade to the next release of a whim. It takes planning and
coordination (not to mention time and patience) to upgrade all these machines.
I for one, still want the fix to the problem I reported, not an additional
week of work to fix a "bug". Your answer is not only trivial, it may be
impossible for some people to do easily.

p.s. I do agree, however, that people should include the release they are
encountering problems on.

p.p.s. Now that I think about it, I do have one gripe with these fixes. Why does AIX Defect Support always want me to reboot a machine after applying a fix. Don't they realize that people can just enter the commands from the .rc files and apply most of the fixes without having to get everyone to log off and then reboot a machine? If IBM is serious about supporting distributed computing, then they better realize that rebooting machines to apply fixes is not the way to go.
(just wanted to get my two sense in...)

--
Jon Alperin
Bell Communications Research

---> Internet: jona at iscp.bellcore.com
---> Voicenet: (908) 699-8674
---> UUNET: uunet!bcr!jona

* All opinions and stupid questions are my own *