Password Verification

John F Haugh II jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
Wed Jun 12 15:01:24 AEST 1991

In article <16390 at smoke.brl.mil> somsky at brl.mil (William R. Somsky) writes:
>                                                With the passwords stored
>in /etc/security/passwd, however, this fails.  Has anyone worked this out?
>Should I make xlock be suid root?

Either set-UID "root" or possibly set-GID "security".  The I&A files
in /etc/security should all have the same group and have read access
for the group.  I think ...

>                                   What would be needed to read the
>/etc/security/passwd file?  For getting the info out of /etc/passwd,
>there is some library routin (I forget the name just now) which reads
>the /etc/passwd file and extracts the relevant information.  Is there
>an appropriate function for the /etc/security/passwd file?

getuserpw().  It will return all of the user password information
from the password file.  There are two other routines, ckuserid()
and ckuseracct() that will authenticate the user for you in case
you want support the configurable authentication features.
--
John F. Haugh II        | Distribution to  | UUCP: ...!cs.utexas.edu!rpp386!jfh
Ma Bell: (512) 255-8251 | GEnie PROHIBITED :-) |  Domain: jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
"If liberals interpreted the 2nd Amendment the same way they interpret the
 rest of the Constitution, gun ownership would be mandatory."