Password Verification

Hemant Shah shah at cdsun.fnal.gov
Sat Jun 29 05:31:01 AEST 1991

In article <16390 at smoke.brl.mil>, somsky at brl.mil (William R. Somsky) writes:
|> I'd like to put 'xlock' onto our systems, but I'm having difficulty
|> with the unlock user verification part.  What xlock normally does is ask
|> for the user's password and compares this (via the appropriate encryption
|> routines) with the entry found in /etc/passwd.  With the passwords stored
|> in /etc/security/passwd, however, this fails.  Has anyone worked this out?
|> Should I make xlock be suid root?  What would be needed to read the
|> /etc/security/passwd file?  For getting the info out of /etc/passwd,
|> there is some library routin (I forget the name just now) which reads
|> the /etc/passwd file and extracts the relevant information.  Is there
|> an appropriate function for the /etc/security/passwd file?  Does anyone
|> have any suggestions?  (And yes, I've already dealt with Ctl-Alt-Backspace.)
|>
|> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
|>  I speak for no-one other than myself --- sometimes, not even that...
|> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
|> William R. Somsky					somsky at brl.mil

When we proted xlock to our RS600 we had same problem. Our solution was to
change the permission on the files, the /etc/security directory should look
like :

	drwxr-xr-x   4 root     security     512 May 01 18:03 security

and the file permission in /etc/security should look like :

	-rw-r--r--   1 root     security    2853 Jun 26 09:32 passwd

Hemant Shah
Fermilab
ACCESS/System Integration

E-mail :shah at fnal.fnal.gov