Help: AIX machine as file server for Macintosh through GatorBox

raymond thomas pierrehumbert rtp1 at quads.uchicago.edu
Tue Jun 11 13:20:06 AEST 1991

> (Problems with using the Gatorbox to mount NFS volumes from
>RS6000 onto a Mac).

I have a Gatorbox on a mixed network too.  The problem with
password authentication comes about because of the secure
password feature in aix.  The password is not stored in the
/etc/passwd file, but rather is looked for in another file
which is closed to the outside world.  The gatorbox
can't cope with this, since it reads the /etc/passwd file
to do authentication.

The only way I was able to work around this was to establish
an /etc/macpasswd and /etc/macgroup files, and put in the
standard Unix encrypted passwords by hand.  It is a big
nuisance every time I want to add a user or change a password,
so I'd be happy to hear of other workarounds.
.