Mouse disappears on AIXwindows desktop (run from DECstation) etc

Richard Stanton rstanton at leland.Stanford.EDU
Fri Jun 7 07:13:55 AEST 1991

I'm sitting at a DECstation 3100, running DECwindows. I am connected to
an IBM RS/6000, and am happily running the info program, xde, xclock etc.
I have two questions

1) When I run the AIXwindows desktop (by typing xdt&), the desktop appears
and I can run applications, but the mouse cursor disappears whenever it
moves onto the desktop, unless I keep a mouse button pressed. Is there a way
of stopping this behavior?

2) I am getting some warnings. For example, when I run the info program,
although it seems to work fine, I get messages like

X Toolkit warning: windows manager is confused
X Toolkit warning cannot convert string "Rom10" to type fontlib

These may not be exactly right, but they're close.

What do these messages mean, and what do I need to do to stop them
appearing? I set the environment variable DISPLAY to hostname:0.0, if
that is important.

Thanks for any help

Richard Stanton
pstanton at gsb-lira.stanford.edu