Problems with console locking and mwm stopping

David A Guidry guidry at casbah.acns.nwu.edu
Fri Jun 7 09:29:37 AEST 1991

I'm working as assistant sysadmin on our local net of RS6000s.  We have
three 320s (2 with 8Meg RAM, one with 16) and four Xstation 120s.  We are
runing AIX 3.1.1 on these puppies.  I have two big problems with things
that happen on them.  The 16 Megger monitors the logins on the four
Xstations and also holds the nfs mounted /u partition.

1)  A user is plugging away happily at the console and the console locks
up.  No mouse movement, no response to the keyboard, NOTHING.  How can I
reset the terminal from a remote location without rebooting the offending
machine.  Killing off alll the user processes doesn't help at all.  If the
terminal cannot be reset without rebooting, is there a way to reboot
without having to insert the key to the machine (I'd like to be able to
handle these minor emergencies from home).

2)  Something that happens to me a lot but doesn't seem to trouble anybody
else:  I log in from an Xstation and start up (in this order) mwm, xclock,
aixterm -v, aixterm -v.  I plug away happily and mwm stops.  An error
message appears on the "login" window saying
[1]  mwm    stopped (tty output)
This just doesn't make any sense to me at all.  An icon for mwm appears in
the upper right corner but it cannot be restarted by clicking on it (duhhh
the window manager isn't paying attention).  The only way that I've been
able to restart it is by 'kill -HUP'.  And that only works about half the
time (sometimes it'll show the "Exit mwm ?" screen and stop again when I
click "cancel" (or no, or whatever it is), sometimes it'll show the
"Exit mwm ?" screen and restart fine, sometimes it just diescompletely).
If it is the second "HUP" signal that I've had to send, it _always_ dies.

Any clues on these little annoyances?  TFM doesn't seem to help much...
I've looked, but not too closely.

Dave Guidry
--
David A. Guidry       |    On a clear disk, you      |       empire
Student Consultant    |      can seek forever        |   Not just a game